Citrix

Network problem solving and tweaks
Jonboy

Citrix

Post by Jonboy »

Hi all,

I am part of an SME with 12 permanent employees. We are set up on Windows SBS 2003 with an exchange mail system. While technically a senior environmental scientist, I inherited the role of IT manager which I am quite happy with and capable of for what we require.

Now, however, comes the problem.

We have a member of staff who is moving to Zimbabwe and will be working remotely. Their creeky IT infrastructure means satellite connections on that side. We also have a lady in CT who accesses the network remotely.

Up until now, everybody has been quite happy to utilise the VPN, the lass going to Zim is now moaning though that the VPN will be too slow via satellite and a friend of a friend of hers recommended Citrix to her, which she is now going on about.

I haven't had the time to research this in detail, but thought I'd ask here first if it's worth it for two users before I even look further. What are your experiences? Is is expensive? As far as I understand it's based on the cloud computing concept? Is the implementation going to give me grey hairs?

Any help here please guys,

Thanks
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Jonboy

Re: Citrix

Post by Jonboy »

Oh well it seems that Citrix Xenapp won't run under small business server 2003 anyway.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

BTW she needs a stable connection to use Citrix in any case. And it will probably cause more network traffic than just plainly working over a VPN. Remember that Citrix is for all effect and purposes a remote session to an app and/or desktop running on your server.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

People still use Citrix :?:
I thought it did a Novel in the mid 2000's....
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

No, Citrix is still huge in the big corporates, especially for helpdesk and in-house applications and such.

Jonboy, for only two users it sounds like VPN and a remote desktop session would be the easiest...

Citrix or VMware View would be good ways to go, but it's gonna get very costly and it sounds like a relatively small company.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

ryanrich wrote:No, Citrix is still huge in the big corporates, especially for helpdesk and in-house applications and such.

Jonboy, for only two users it sounds like VPN and a remote desktop session would be the easiest...

Citrix or VMware View would be good ways to go, but it's gonna get very costly and it sounds like a relatively small company.
Thanks for the advice - the problem kind of resolved itself - we're running SBS 2003 and Citrix requires at least Server 2003 or greater because of Terminal Services.

So VPN it is...
[LG W2234S 22" Display]