3G Modem connection problems

Network problem solving and tweaks
TheModDoctor

3G Modem connection problems

Post by TheModDoctor »

Hi, I've run into a bit of a problem, similar to the post here.
I usually use my spare phone (Motorola V3x) as a 3G modem to connect to the internet. For the last couple of months I've had no trouble, but about a week ago everything went wrong. Weird as it may sound, something got corrupted overnight, because the next morning I could not get connected. Whenever I try to connect it pauses at the "Registering your computer on the network" dialogue, and then presents an "Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated" message.

I've tried quite a few solutions, like disabling CHAP and enabling CHAP v2, disabling encryption, the lot. I've made sure the phone is set to Data connection mode, and requested new Internet settings from vodacom, a few times. I've tried to remake the Dial-up connection, and reinstalled the driver.

I'm suspecting the problem lies with the phone, but I can't be 100% sure. I can connect to the internet from the phones' mobile browser without any problems, and I'm pretty sure that it's not the PC driver, because I have the connection set up on my laptop aswell which was working when I last used it (about a month ago), so I tried it there and also couldn't connect. I've also tried connecting in openSUSE which has always been super easy, but with no success this time.

Had anyone else ran into a problem like this before? Or maybe able to offer some advice?
Thanks.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Re: 3G Modem connection problems

Post by wizardofid »

Well start every thing a fresh create a new connection, delete all information on the phone relating to MMS and data settings and request new settings from you network op...

makes sure data is the default connection and not MMS what some times happens.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

let me guess... you're using vodacom??

vodacom has consistent connectivity issues lately. this, even on my hsdpa modem.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

wizardofid wrote:Well start every thing a fresh create a new connection, delete all information on the phone relating to MMS and data settings and request new settings from you network op...

makes sure data is the default connection and not MMS what some times happens.
The trouble with the V3x is that you can't delete or edit data profiles, there is nowhere an option for that to be found. :? But I've made sure that the default one is set as Internet.vodacom.

I remember at the beginning of the year I've had major issues like this from vodacom, where either the connection was dropped after every 500kb, or connection was completely impossible. This time it's not quite like that, since I am able to connect via the phones own browser, and I can also connect without problem (via vodacom) with my main phone (Nokia 6110). The reason I don't use my main phone as my modem is because I the data bundles is loaded on another sim, the nokia can't charge through the cable, and whenever I recieve an incomming call my internet connection gets dropped.
garp

Post by garp »

Why not try a master/factory reset on the phone... I've found that it solves many "weird" problems on phones.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

probably because its a network problem, and not a device problem, the reset wont do a thing!
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Yes, it was the same sim card. I usually just dial *99#, but in this case *99***1# also didn't work. I can't set the APN on the phone, or even view it, but I'm not sure where to set it up on the PC...

A master reset also didn't help, it didn't even delete any of the existing connection profiles.
garp

Post by garp »

-Prometheus- wrote:
TheModDoctor wrote:The trouble with the V3x is that you can't delete or edit data profiles, there is nowhere an option for that to be found. :? But I've made sure that the default one is set as Internet.vodacom.

I remember at the beginning of the year I've had major issues like this from vodacom, where either the connection was dropped after every 500kb, or connection was completely impossible. This time it's not quite like that, since I am able to connect via the phones own browser, and I can also connect without problem (via vodacom) with my main phone (Nokia 6110). The reason I don't use my main phone as my modem is because I the data bundles is loaded on another sim, the nokia can't charge through the cable, and whenever I recieve an incomming call my internet connection gets dropped.
Yeah, had the same sort of problem. Connect through phone but not through modem. Mind you it was 2 different devices but still turned out to be a weird network problem.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but did you use the same sim with the phone browser as with the pc connection? Sometimes some sims just stop working for a while.

Make sure the network connection is set to dial *99# or *99***1# where "1" would be the profile to use, replace with another number if necessary. These Motorolas also set the apn on the pc when you install the software so make sure you have that set to internet.
Yeah thats very true... Happens sometimes when my phone refuses to connect to any online service, while another phone in the house (same network) works perfectly. Try that sim in another phone? to rule out the phone as a cause maybe.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Well some thing else to try, had a problem like this with my mothers nokia and PC. Go device manager - > Modem - > Properties- > Advance
Check if the block is empty or not, clear if it is some thing is there, should be some thing relating to internet blah blah....try again, that string isn't usually a requirement..... If that string isn't 100% correct the connection will fail...

If possible check on another computer.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

garp wrote:Yeah thats very true... Happens sometimes when my phone refuses to connect to any online service, while another phone in the house (same network) works perfectly. Try that sim in another phone? to rule out the phone as a cause maybe.
Yeah, I've put the sim in my main phone, which connects perfectly.
-Prometheus- wrote:I set it up for someone, believe it was the V360. There is no option to set it on the phone or pc. It asks for the apn when you install the driver/software. Sets some kind of modem option string. Not sure where this is hidden or even what to put in it.

Really wish they would just make it straight forward like it is on the Nokia. If you wish to use a phone for internet never buy a Moto.
I can't install the phone as a modem or anything with the provided Motorola Phone Tools that came with it, since during the connection setup it keeps crashing on windows 7, so I always had to do it manually, but windows never asks for an APN. I've went through all the settings but didn't find any APN settings.
wizardofid wrote:Well some thing else to try, had a problem like this with my mothers nokia and PC. Go device manager - > Modem - > Properties- > Advance
Check if the block is empty or not, clear if it is some thing is there, should be some thing relating to internet blah blah....try again, that string isn't usually a requirement..... If that string isn't 100% correct the connection will fail...

If possible check on another computer.
My Nokia needs the extra initialization command there, +CGDCONT=,,"internet", and refuses to connect without it. But this command causes the motorola to not even dial, it complains immediately about the device. At default that line is cleared for the motorola, so I removed it again.

I really hate it when devices just die or give issue for no apparent reason. :x So it's starting to look like I'll need to buy a new modem or something, maybe something like this.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »