How to set up Telkom Dial-Up

Network problem solving and tweaks
part_n00b

How to set up Telkom Dial-Up

Post by part_n00b »

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

I've been asked to help somebody set up a dial-up internet connection in 2 hours from now and I could use any help I can get before then, if possible. The last time I had a dial-up connection was a few years ago, and even then, it was all set up already.

1. He's having a problem with "Error 797 - Modem Not Found". How do I go about resolving this issue? I found information on removing the modem from the hardware list and then having Windows detect the new hardware on a restart, but how would I set up the modem manually without being able to obtain the correct drivers online if necessary?

2. I'm not sure if everything else has been set up correctly, once the above error has been resolved. What are the basic settings I need to have, that applies to any Telkom dial-up user? And how would I go about setting this up?

I realise I could contact the help desk too but in past experiences, it involves long periods of being put on hold and sometimes even having the phone put down when you eventually do get through to the right person. So any help would be appreciated.
rustypup

Re: How to set up Telkom Dial-Up

Post by rustypup »

1) you're fnackered if windows can't locate a driver and you have no net access... you could try taking a stab at some of the generics if the modem appears in the hardware list as a yellow-icon'd unknown but that could also lead you down the road to damnation...

2) you will need user's credentials and their local exchange number... this should have been provided at set-up. if not, you will need to call telskum...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
part_n00b

Post by part_n00b »

rustypup wrote:... this should have been provided at set-up. if not, you will need to call telskum...
That is what I feared. :|

Thank you for the speedy reply. I just hope I'm able to help out because he's really convinced I'll have his problem sorted in no time. I'm not an IT guy (obviously) - but I'm the "go-to guy" for family and friends. Setting up a dial-up internet connection is a rather different ballgame to removing viruses and fixing other general problems though. :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

part_n00b wrote:I'm the "go-to guy" for family and friends.
<BabelFish>
I'm a masochist
</BabelFish>
:lol:....

if it was working fine before and all you're doing is replacing the modem, the number and username should be readily available, (don't uninstall the modem until you've copied these down somewhere). it's the password that defeats everyone...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel