Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by Anakha56 »

I am actually getting to that way of thinking as well. How did you do your minimalist "theme"? Just create a transparent icon and apply it to the shortcut?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Found this quite funny, related to quite a few Nokia N8 defects and the phone not turning back on... :lol:

What do you call a dead N8, by the way?

N8 owner: A tragedy
iPhone owner: DOA
Android owner: About as useful as any other N8
N900 owner: A missed opportunity
Store sales rep: Dummy unit
Symbian Foundation employee: Justice
Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo: Karma
A goat: Dinner
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:I am actually getting to that way of thinking as well. How did you do your minimalist "theme"? Just create a transparent icon and apply it to the shortcut?
Yeah, I find a layout that I like, learn it, and then STICK to it. I've replaced all the icons on my dock/homescreen with a transparent icon I made. This leaves my desktop empty, while being fully functional :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Random off topic on its way...

So I'm keen to buy a couple of things for my Desire:

* Cover and screen protector (I'm thinking the Otto Commuter?)
* Dash mount (for GPS)
* Another cable for charging at work (I carry the one I got with my phone like its a colostomy bag)

Any tips?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

1: Cover and screen protector well I have yet to buy mine :oops: Hopefully pay day has a nice large sum of money left over to buy before Xmas.

2: You are going to struggle :(. You could look at one of these: http://shop.lab88.co.za/c307/Clingo.aspx with my personal preference being: http://shop.lab88.co.za/pCLINGO_VENTMOU ... Mount.aspx however in doing some research some materials dont stick all that well to the Clingo surface. If you are not wanting that then take a look here: http://www.expansys.co.za/s.aspx?search ... 0car%20kit I have yet to make my mind up as to what I want to get but when I do get one I want to take to a place to get it fitted correctly without wires in my new Sirion...

3: Good luck. I visited nearly every phone, computer and camera store in KZN asking for a micro usb cable. Found one but the lady at the store refused to sell it to me on the basis that it said "For Nokia phones" :roll:. Again look at Expansys for your cable.

*edit*

http://www.expansys.co.za/htc-desire-ca ... 20-199788/

I will probably get that car kit. Will also need a bluetooth device to make the full handsfree experience...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I can get your another cable for about 20 bucks. I'm bringing one in for myself soon (may as well do it now :P ), so if you want, let me know.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: Well if I am going to be buying the stuff from Expansys I might as well just buy the cable from them as well. Thanks for the offer btw the neoprene case is still working brilliantly :).
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Anakha56 wrote:I want to take to a place to get it fitted correctly without wires in my new Sirion...
Nice choice in car dude :D Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying a second hand one. A year down the line its just problem after problem. I'm playing "Whack a mole" with the thing all the time :/ Solve one problem and another takes its place.

Otherwise, that dock that charges at the same time is epic! Unfortunately, the price... not so much. Would love it though.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Mr_Norris wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:I want to take to a place to get it fitted correctly without wires in my new Sirion...
Nice choice in car dude :D Unfortunately I made the mistake of buying a second hand one. A year down the line its just problem after problem. I'm playing "Whack a mole" with the thing all the time :/ Solve one problem and another takes its place.

Otherwise, that dock that charges at the same time is epic! Unfortunately, the price... not so much. Would love it though.
You have PM...
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Hey guys :D

I'm trying to decide between an HTC Desire and an iPhone 4. I'd just go for the HTC but I'm a little worried about about the camera. How good is it compared to the iPhone 4's camera?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

The iPhone probably has a better camera, but I really think that choosing a phone with the camera as a deciding factor is a bad idea ;)
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I'm not basing the decision solely on the camera, I know the iPhone has the better camera from reading reviews, just how much better is what I'd like to know.

This might seem a little silly to you, but an idea of what's going on in my head: I'm trying to rationalise spending R350 a month on a toy I don't really need. If it can double up as a digital camera I'll feel less guilty. :P

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

D3PART3D wrote:Hey guys :D

I'm trying to decide between an HTC Desire and an iPhone 4. I'd just go for the HTC but I'm a little worried about about the camera. How good is it compared to the iPhone 4's camera?
I have both a Desire and iPhone 4. iPhone's camera is much, much better than the Desire's. It easily replaced a point and shoot basic digital camera for me...
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Finally got 2.1 on SE

What a long wait.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Still no Gingerbread. :( I wonder when...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Think about the name, Gingerbread. Since its pretty close to the Festive season I reckon Google will either release it on the first of December or as close to Xmas as possible just because of the name Gingerbread :).

/ends lame attempt at being a conspiracy theorist :P.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

ryanrich wrote:I have both a Desire and iPhone 4. iPhone's camera is much, much better than the Desire's. It easily replaced a point and shoot basic digital camera for me...
Hmmm... thanks Ryan.

- Elon Musk
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:Think about the name, Gingerbread. Since its pretty close to the Festive season I reckon Google will either release it on the first of December or as close to Xmas as possible just because of the name Gingerbread :).

/ends lame attempt at being a conspiracy theorist :P.
Haha, well I've been waiting for it ever since they erected that Gingerbread man statue thing on their campus... :P
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

<Good News Everyone...>

Android apps are now availible to buy on the MArket! :D
Beautiful Widgets: ~ R14.01
Swiftkey keyboard: ~R28.07
Yay!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

So has anyone here managed to get their Google Checkout account up and running? Tried signing up for one and it says I can now use it (this is on my desktop) and when I try to buy anything from the Market I get a error "There was a problem processing your request. Please visit checkout.goole.com to fix it." so I visit the link and login and I still cant buy anything... :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I've had a Google checkout account ever since I got my Desire, and have been buying apps since then as well through market enabler. Didn't have any problems setting it up, except I had to use a US address as far as I can remember...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I don't have a US address and setting up checkout was simple for me. The ONLY problem I had was that Google Checkout is not available for Google Apps accounts. My email address is an Apps account, so I had to create another gmail address for my phone. No big deal :)
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Woo hoo! They've finally got the Camera working on the HD Rom's \ :D / The dude that does the RCMixHD rom is gonna release a new version soon, and I'm so trying out Sense 2!
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

My brother just got the Desire HD.... lucky bugger!! Gonna take a good look at that bad boy when I go home for the holidays
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

For those interested, The Complete Android Guide is on sale for 99c today, as opposed to the usual $9. I read it before it's release (I was a contributor) and it's really a great book. Worth it, IMO. I'm actually going to buy it myself :)