Tim Schafer on PC games

Any news articles that the G3AR team posts will go in here.
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Tim Schafer on PC games

Post by Drakonis »

Mr Schafer is a nice fellow. Can we have more Day of the Tentacle now?
Tim Schafer, formerly of Lucas Arts and founder of development studio Double Fine, updated his studio's website FAQ yesterday, outlining why publishers seem reluctant to release PC versions of games. According to Schafer, publishers do not see “enough financial reward” in releasing games on PC, although he maintains that he would love to create titles for the platform that started his career
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Tim Schafer on PC games

Post by hamin_aus »

No thanks Tim Schafer, stick to consoles.

The last thing we need is another Star Wars game... The Empire Snorts Crack... or whatever
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

so, pretty much coming right out and saying that they make more profit through overpriced console releases :lol:

also puts paid to the tired old "consoles are cheaper" twaddle the dimbulbs keep spouting like it's an original idea instead of marketing...

...this when crytek is lamenting the cruddy quality consoles are inflicting on the market...

console gamers: as bad as hippies when it comes to trashing the neighbourhood...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Dont hate the gamer, hate the developer... or publisher.

You know I hear about all these western companies going down. But Japanese companies I have heard very little about.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:You know I hear about all these western companies going down. But Japanese companies I have heard very little about.
Thats because 99% of their games are those rape-sims that luckily never see our shores...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

StarBound wrote:Dont hate the gamer
the gamer is the market... without it, this silliness would never have come to pass, so the gamer gets no absolution... s/he is entirely responsible.... :P
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

jamin_za wrote:
StarBound wrote:You know I hear about all these western companies going down. But Japanese companies I have heard very little about.
Thats because 99% of their games are those rape-sims that luckily never see our shores...
Controversial stuff. Speaking of which it's strange that there is no complaint about the missions in black ops with the torture where vs mw2 with the pot plant and brief case shooting mission. Imagine we go back to simcity 2000 type sales with only 250,000 unite sales.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

jamin_za wrote:
Don't be so sure, if you have PCF issue 157(april 2010) then go to page 84-85 :shock: .

But Consoles are crap compared to PC's (in terms of power and functionality), and they are NOT cheaper than PC's.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

PS3 160gb = R3000.
Radeon 6870 = R3000.

The numbers dont lie. I can get a fully functional system for the price of a graphics card alone. You can get cheap pcs. But when you start adding stuff to get them on the same level as a console you start adding a bit of cash. And dont try to use the games are cheaper thing. Starcraft 2 and the last 2 call of duty games were both priced at a flat rate that matches console games.

PC has the advantage that the older it gets the cheaper it gets to. Games go from $60 to $5. Hardware from $300 to $100 for the same performance hardware. The problem is that console performance stays the same from start to finish while pc gradually looses it.

What ticks me off is that publishers/developers expect a 3-5 million unite ship. That doesnt happen.
My Steam Screenshots

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

StarBound wrote:PS3 160gb = R3000.
Radeon 6870 = R3000.

The numbers dont lie. I can get a fully functional system for the price of a graphics card alone. You can get cheap pcs. But when you start adding stuff to get them on the same level as a console you start adding a bit of cash. And dont try to use the games are cheaper thing. Starcraft 2 and the last 2 call of duty games were both priced at a flat rate that matches console games.

PC has the advantage that the older it gets the cheaper it gets to. Games go from $60 to $5. Hardware from $300 to $100 for the same performance hardware. The problem is that console performance stays the same from start to finish while pc gradually looses it.

What ticks me off is that publishers/developers expect a 3-5 million unite ship. That doesnt happen.
But you can build a decent gaming pc for R3K, and lets not forget about LAN's where the latest games are FREE, cough piracy cough :roll:
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Piracy my a55. This is about greed.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Not trying to derail from the threads main topic but:

PS3 vs Xbox 360. When it comes down to the superior console it is the games that speak the loudest and not the benchmarks. I can count on 1 hand games that have different stories. Dragon age and sacred 2 is better on ps3 while Bayonetta is better on xbox. Assasins Creed 3 and Black Ops has a bit more darker shading on the xbox. There was one part though that a lighting effect completely dropped away from the xbox version. I prefer a ps3 over xbox due to controller being the same for 15 years now, a bluray player and psn is free multiplayer vs XBL that is paid for (although superior).

I wont lie that pc hardware CAN be superior but let's be honest with R3k you dont have a screen (just like the consoles) and you dont have an OS so you cant even use that system. As you see from my sig my pc is a monster. It can run nearly everything at max detail without too much of a hassel. The hassel comes in when I have to start updating a driver so something can work or sometimes rollback so another program can work. A pc is flexable in its setup. That is also the problem. Your R3k pc will never give the same performance as the current consoles (wii excluded) and as time goes on the console versions of the games will continue to work as you need to replace your R3k pc with a new piece of hardware to run something under spec.

Back to the topic at hand. Games are more expensive to develop. So stop over advertising. Your marketing is pushing up costs. Stop hiring big names. How much did linkin park push up that medal of honor cost? And Manson with Dragon Age? And for the love of all that is sacred stop expecting World of Warcraft or Call of Duty figures!
My Steam Screenshots

-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page