Any software related topics go in here.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Itunes

Post by Tribble »

I have a huge problem with iTunes - it won't see my iPod any more. It says that one is connected but no matter how many times I reinstall it - still no luck. Annoying now that I have new music I want to get onto it. Will have to try my laptop and move the music across. Didn't want iTunes on my laptop :P
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

i am not a liar! its my primary music program..
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:I have a huge problem with iTunes - it won't see my iPod any more. It says that one is connected but no matter how many times I reinstall it - still no luck. Annoying now that I have new music I want to get onto it. Will have to try my laptop and move the music across. Didn't want iTunes on my laptop :P
My dear you dont need iTunes to sync to your iPod ;).

http://www.getsharepod.com/
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I have to laugh, CD's have better sound quality the Itunes, no matter what format you rip them in. :wink:
Prime

Post by Prime »

naughty wrote:
Monty wrote:
naughty wrote:as for the audio quality being dependent on the codec - im sorry even mp3 sounds better on itunes than on any other app - my R20k worth of amps and speakers linked to the PC will easily show you that - its got nothing to do with codecs or EQ's or settings or anything like that
Why? What is so special about the iTunes program that makes audio played through it sound so good?
who knows - maybe they coded it better - maybe they have a better idea of how to achieve a flatter frequency response from the resultant output of the app - but it has better stereo separation and definitely an improved frequency response and for sure smoother sound reproduction than any other app ive used using whatever audio codec you like (though WMA doesnt play and you have to convert that to some other format to play unless you use another app for that)

WMA ...... hence WMP has totally bloated bass and lower midrange which make your speakers have a popping sound - winamp and musicmatch jukebox have relatively spitty treble response with increased sibilance but it isnt a smooth sound at all

it is possible than when they coded the EQ they applied a different curve to their "flat" setting - so its got a bit of EQ applied to it even when their EQ section is bypassed (defeated ..... or what ever you want to call it)
There are much better, quicker and less bloated apps out there
quicker ..... i wont disagree - less bloated ...... definitely BUT better ...... well i have yet to find one better to me personally for my purposes (ie good sound) and trust me ive looked high and low
WTH would you want to rip into WMA? The only way WMA plays in Itunes is to reconvert it to m4a or mp3 at which point you have completely destroyed the quality.

I encode at 320Kb/s MP3 in WMP.

THe only way itunes could record better sound quality is if it sampled at a higher sampling rate.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Prime wrote:I have to laugh, CD's have better sound quality the Itunes, no matter what format you rip them in. :wink:
well dude - have you not heard of ALAC and FLAC - those are lossless codecs - if your ears can hear the difference between those and CD then my dear friend you can hear grass grow :P
or claim their ears are now superhuman and capable of detecting sounds outside of the 20-20000hz range of mechanical human limits are so full of it you could shovel for a week and still not find anything...
sure the guys who say they can hear more than the standard 20hz to 20khz are definitely full of it cos the average human being would hear even less than those limits BUT and this is a very huge but there are some manufacturers who will quote you a frequency response that is around 5hz to 50khz and this is not inaccurate - let me explain - that 20hz to 20khz specification is pretty useless if it doesnt include the amount that the frequency response would fluctuate at the ends of the scale - so you should be seeing something like this quoted instead 20hz to 20khz at +/-3db ...... now we know that decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale and a 3db drop is actually a measured halving of sound pressure level (note not perceived since it takes around a 10 db drop for you to perceive the levels as halving) but 3db is a halving in measured SPL - so this is actually a huge drop - so for this to fluctuate less that 5hz to 50khz spec can be quoted differently as 20hz to 20khz +0db/-0,1db and this would mean that its a far better designed as well as better sounding item - so you need to know how to interpret these things - and just FYI - sound does not stop at the limits of 20hz to 20khz its just that humans stop hearing it because of how our ears are built - dogs hear between 60hz and around 45khz - but even when sound tends to roll off it does so gradually and the response does not drop like a brick wall - any bit of sound thats around 20db below all other sounds which are flattish in the response curve will not be perceived by you

as for audiophiles - im not truly an audiophile - i guess im more of an audio hobbyist cos i dont believe that just cos something is more expensive it sounds better - i will definitely look for a scientific reason behind why something will sound better (if it does at all)
WTH would you want to rip into WMA?
i dont - WMA sounds terrible - but i was just pointing out that for people who in misguided moments in their past ripped to WMA will not be able to use those files in itunes
I encode at 320Kb/s MP3 in WMP.
FLAC is almost three times that bitrate - and ALAC is even higher (regular CD is around 1411Kb/s on an average) - suffice it to say that you wont be saving much storage space a'la mp3 - but in these days of 2TB drives costing only 800bucks to a grand on average who wants to worry about space vs quality - ALAC is almost as good as WAV or CDA

bottom line though - anyone is free to use whatever they like - but its been proved to me time and time again that there isnt a single app out there that can match itunes for sound quality - im not a coder - so i have no clue how they did this - suffice it to say i can hear it with my playback equipment - if your equipment doesnt allow you to perceive this then my sympathies and you go ahead and use whatever you like - but bashing something just cos its apple makes you worse than the fanboys you claim to despise IMHO cos you are just as much a fanboy of opposing stuff while profusely claiming not to be - which is to my way of thinking a hypocrisy
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

When you guys are done can we please discuss using WMP / iTunes for video watching purposes?

That will be great.
to ápeiro anima
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Anakha56 wrote:
Tribble wrote:I have a huge problem with iTunes - it won't see my iPod any more. It says that one is connected but no matter how many times I reinstall it - still no luck. Annoying now that I have new music I want to get onto it. Will have to try my laptop and move the music across. Didn't want iTunes on my laptop :P

Thank you :hug:
Prime wrote:I have to laugh, CD's have better sound quality the Itunes, no matter what format you rip them in. :wink:
Of course they do - but when I am shopping or waiting somewhere - it is not always possible to take all my CDs with me.
reyals

Post by reyals »

itunes is an amazing product. I love it, but my judgement may be influenced by the fact that i'm an apple fanboy (yes, I said it)

although, last night, after reinstalling windows 7, I installed the new itunes 10, and I couldn't click on a song title, the rest worked, but I couldn't click a song.

weirdly, this morning it worked again.

never had any issues with the previous versions though.

yes, itunes is resource heavy, but too bad, so sad for those who don't have resources. not my problem

*and so my douchy deed of the day is done*
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:

Thank you :hug:
Not a problem, you just owe me a beer now ;) :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I do = but I don't like the way it groups my music on the ipod - all my folders are gone and everything is dumped in one album eg -
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare - Buried Alive
Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare - Danger Line
etc

Annoying verby!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

It did not do that for me when I used it :?. I was able to organise just fine, will have to try it again tonight...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I will play with the settings. It is very annoying - I have tons of CDs on it. If you go by artist - it is fine. But I have a lot of compilations.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Aww poor kitty. :P

Ephpod works pretty well too.
to ápeiro anima
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mmm will look at that - if I go by artist it is ok. Perhaps I can live with that for a while.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Okay so I have to agree 100% with naughty. Ever since I got my Mac I've been using only iTunes, and the difference in quality is very noticeable... iTunes on OS X is actually pretty good and fast as well...
spearone

Post by spearone »

If iTunes could implement some form of folder monitoring, i'd be very happy.