Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Windows Phone 7 Thread

Post by Anakha56 »

So to kick off the launch with Windows Phone 7 I think its time a thread was born and DJV according to this review I reckon you are going to love this phone ;).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3982/wind ... e-7-review
The Windows Phone 7 Review

Introduction

This isn’t going to be a story about Microsoft’s return to dominance. Nor is it going to be the story of Microsoft’s failure to compete in the smartphone space. These mobile wars have only just begun and despite the advantage enjoyed by Apple and Google, there is no end in sight. In another twelve months we will see fierce competition from HP, Microsoft and Nokia. There’s a lot at stake, and no company is willing to give up the opportunity to own the next-PC market without a hell of a fight. Today is the beginning of Microsoft’s fight.

In the old days, when Microsoft tried to deliver a prettier UI it would just add lots of blue and make everything huge. That’s how we got XP. We never really lost the blue or hugeness, they were just made more refined through the years.

Windows Phone 7 is a significant departure from anything Microsoft has ever done in the past, from a UI standpoint that is. In my opinion it’s more beautiful than anything else on the market today - including Apple’s iOS. That’s a big statement for anyone to make about Microsoft, a company that has tried so very hard to prevent Apple’s increasing market share but always seemed to be at least one step behind in the user experience department. The Windows Phone 7 user experience is a big enough step forward to not only build a lot of faith in Microsoft’s mobile strategy, but also to give hope that future versions of the Xbox and desktop Windows OSes may be just as impressive.

The underlying architecture is well engineered, high performing and extremely efficient - a testament to the fact that Microsoft continues to employ some of the world’s most talented software engineers. Microsoft’s engineering talent is often masked by the bureaucracy of a company with nearly a hundred thousand employees and multiple billion dollar businesses, but it exists.

From a technical standpoint, Microsoft has never lagged Apple. In many cases, features Apple offered in its Macs were first enjoyed by Windows users. Where Microsoft fell short was in delivering these features in the cleanest way possible. The focus was on functionality, not the best way to use it. I continue to believe that anything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC, it’s just the manner in which you do it that separates the two. Apple’s growing marketshare is testament to the notion that a significant portion of the population doesn't want to do it Microsoft’s way.

With Windows, Microsoft had to worry about legacy. It had to worry about maintaining a very large existing user base. With Windows Phone, Microsoft began with a clean slate. And it doesn’t disappoint.
And then taken from page 3 just for DJV ;)
Minimalist, Even Down to the Status Bar

When Apple introduced the iPhone, Steve Jobs made the point that a virtual keyboard was preferable to a fixed keyboard because you shouldn’t always be stuck with the same keyboard layout. Some applications would require a slightly different layout and other applications wouldn’t need it entirely. A physical keyboard requires you to pay the space penalty regardless of what you’re doing with the phone.

Microsoft takes that same argument even further with Windows Phone 7. The status bar present on all smartphones indicates things like signal strength, WiFi reception, Bluetooth status, remaining battery life and the current time. On a Windows Phone, the status bar remains hidden most of the time. The only element that’s nearly always present is the current time. The rest stay hidden unless you tap the top of the screen to reveal them for a short period of time.
Still reading the review but so far I like what I read and my next phone might just be a Win 7 Phone.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Windows Phone 7 Thread

Post by ryanrich »

I really can't wait to try it out for myself! The HTC HD7 in particular looks great...
Animal

Post by Animal »

Looking good. The interface reminds me of Windows 7 Media Centre.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yep, I'm amped to give it a go myself. A new, modern interface is always something to be excited for.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

So from what I've seen so far and what Paul said in Windows Weekly, it looks like the Samsung Focus would be the phone to go for...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Okay so the OS launched the other day.

I was lucky enough to play witht he HTC mozart which is sexy and fast and I want to have its babies. I love the phone and I love the OS.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah it looks fantastic, seriously wanna try it out now...

The one main thing Apple still has on it's side is the hardware. The iPhone just feels so superior to me in terms of hardware and build quality to any Android, BlackBerry etc device I've used, and I'm sure the same goes for the WP7 devices. But damn that OS looks slick...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Ryanrish you hit the nail on the head and this is the main thing that MS wants to address.

They have stipulated that hardware partners like Samsung and HTC are not to change the hardware of the devices at all. The minimum spec for all Windows Phone 7 devices WILL be 1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, full capacitive touch screen. There are a few more specs but I can't remember. This is in an effort to ensure that the OS is not handicapped by cost cutting. I applaud MS for doing this as it ensures a minimum level of experience for the user. MS are just a few steps away from adopting the Apple approach... own the hardware and own the software. Honestly, WP7 is so good that I would not mind having a MS Phone running an MS OS.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ryanrich wrote:The iPhone just feels so superior to me in terms of hardware and build quality to any Android, BlackBerry etc device I've used
so... you prefer chinese/taiwanese to canadian? :lol:

they all share fabricators... i am now convinced the iPhone is more a PDA/mobile app store consumption device than a phone...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I am waiting for a Win7 phone with a proper hardware keyboard to come out, or even better, for the new Meago phones to come out (Nokia N9).
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Well I've had two iPhones, a BlackBerry, many Nokia's and now an HTC Desire, and yeah, to me the iPhone feels much higher build quality. With that it also becomes more fragile though which sounds like a contradiction, such as the glass of the iPhone 4...

I agree though rusty. Much of the appeal of the iPhone is the slick interface for media consumption and the sheer number of apps available. In fact when it comes to most of these new smartphones, the actual phone part has become secondary...
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

KALSTER wrote:I am waiting for a Win7 phone with a proper hardware keyboard to come out, or even better, for the new Meago phones to come out (Nokia N9).
I may have encountered an HTC Gold this past week... it may have felt very slick adn the keyboard may have flipped out in a similar fashion to that of the N97... or this could have been a dream... and if my "dream" is to believed then it will be available mid Q1 2011
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

On a happy note
Dell ditches 25,000 BlackBerry's for Windows Phone 7
http://neow.in/9vCwty
whoop
BB got it's bottom kicked
Temporary Absence
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Seems that Windows Phone 7 isn't doing particularly well in the States...
Slashdot wrote:Microsoft's new smartphone platform is off to what could be considered a slower start than expected in North America. That's according to The Street, which has released a report saying that the company sold some 40,000 units on its first day on the market. Early sales numbers from other phone platform launches include Apple's estimated 500,000 iPhones being snatched up during its launch weekend in 2007, and a million and a half G1 Android phones being bought up by T-Mobile subscribers in the phone's first six months.
Source
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.