Where in SA to buy good laptop?

Want advice on building your rig or just want to show off?
Prime

Re: Where in SA to buy good laptop?

Post by Prime »

Everyones already said, price sound fair.

I can't see how 64Bit uses more ram than 32. Got a link to explain ryan?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Prime wrote:I can't see how 64Bit uses more ram than 32. Got a link to explain ryan?
Since you asked so nicely... ;)

We can also see that the 64 bit versions take up quite a bit more memory as well. Again, the explanation is very simple: all of the variables are no longer only 32 bits long, but 64 bits instead. Typically, this makes applications between 20% and 40% larger, which consequently results in a higher memory footprint as well. File formats such as music files or videos are not affected by this.

The upshot is that it doesn't make sense to install a 64 bit version of Vista in order to better utilize 4 GB of memory simply because the 32 bit version would only recognize 3.5 GB. The problem is that while it is true that you would "gain" the missing memory, you would also immediately lose it to the system due to the 64 bit version's larger memory footprint. Thus, using a 64 bit version really only makes sense with larger memory sizes.
Source

Everybody who keeps questioning this starting to see my point?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

^^ And as this is the kind of thing that I work with on a daily basis, I stand right by Ryan's arguments. ;)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Prime

Post by Prime »

At 2 Gigs of ram, the difference is what, 70megs? That's 3.4%. Can you even rule out other factors at such a small margin?
At 4 Gigs of ram, about 5%. Again, can you rule out other factors?

I strongly disagree with both your views.

edit: and did you look at the comments on that article?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

You can strongly disagree all you want, facts are facts. There is no point in running 64-bit unless you're running more than 4GB of RAM, but go ahead... :)
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote:You can strongly disagree all you want, facts are facts. There is no point in running 64-bit unless you're running more than 4GB of RAM, but go ahead... :)
I'd hardly call that facts. 3% and even 5% is a very small margin. at those sort of sizes, you can't discount error both human and environmental. As far as I can tell, and the comments seem to support me on this, they don't exactly discuss how they got to those results. They don't tell you what sort of testing they are running or how they went about matching the 2 installations.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi Guys,

I am looking for the laptop that was in the September 2010 pcf. the Acer Aspire 1825PTZ

It scored 91% in the review and although its rated as bit pricey i can't find it at landmark.co.za or nivo.co.za any other online places to buy?

Thanks.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU