The peering war begins

Network problem solving and tweaks
Prime

The peering war begins

Post by Prime »

My Broadband wrote: MWEB will today sever their local transit to MTN and Vodacom, with Telkom to follow early next week. Expect a few fireworks in the SA Internet space!

MWEB stunned the local ADSL market in March 2010 when they launched their affordable uncapped services, but at the time MWEB CEO Rudi Jansen said that this was only the beginning of their quest to ‘free the web’ in South Africa.

Jansen explained at the time that free and open peering was essential to help increase competition in the telecoms market which would then drive down the price of bandwidth in the country.

Since March MWEB has launched many new services, including uncapped wireless broadband connections and an uncapped bonded ADSL offering, and has started to push the envelope on free and open peering.

Last week Jansen said that they made a conscious decision that as from next month they will not pay for transit traffic. “So if you don’t want to peer with us, that is it! We will not pay you one single cent anymore,” said Jansen.
Follow the link for the rest :)
lancelot

Re: The peering war begins

Post by lancelot »

What does this mean to me? I am a noob when it comes to these things, I am with Hetzner and my ISP is Telkom? Will I even see a difference, DSTV and News24 are not important in my life?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

It means that if you are using MWeb as an ISP, browsing some local sites will effectively be the same as browsing international sites.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Thanks Wolfman, was as I imagined, no big deal!