VMware

Any software related topics go in here.
Slimshaedy

VMware

Post by Slimshaedy »

Ok I'm studying for my mcse and I'd like to get vmware which will allow me to create a virtual network on my pc. Now should I get vmware server edition?
Can I run it on windows 7 and create many virtual workstations or will it only support a certain amount.
I'm not sure how the whole thing works... Do u have to install a copy of windows on the virtual machine or what??
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: VMware

Post by Nuke »

Rather grab Sun Virtualbox. Free download and it does the same. You can start as many as you like, if your host PC is fast enough.
Yes you install a copy of windows/linux on the virtual machine as you would on a real PC.
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Sun virtualbox? U sure that's better? I just wana practice on a network. I'll install windows server 2003 and just play around on it.
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Have been using to for quite a while now to test new software. I have used VMware server and there is nothing wrong with it, but Virtualbox feels better. Win2003 server will run just fine if you have a fast enough host machine. Better still would be if the host machine have virtualization extensions on its CPU.
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

I am also studying MCSE, and use VMWare to study, practise and mess around with. Works well. Depending on your host or physical machine you can run multiple ones. MCSE is Windows XP and Server 2003, so each VM can run on minimal resources too, 256mb ram for each xp vm is suitable for network testing. Only downside is not free. Never got Sun VirtualBox to work properly, but if you can, give it a shot.

let me know what works best for you. I still got several months of this to go
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

vmware is absolute crud... especially on vlans....

Nuke has the right of it... VirtualBox is the superior product... in every sense...

sadly, it's no longer Sun, but Oracle... so expect to see some silliness soon...
Last edited by rustypup on 18 Oct 2010, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ghondar

Post by ghondar »

Hi

WMware Workstation is good i also used it to practise AD stuff for my MCSE and it's free.
You can also download a free copy of VMware Hypervisor ESXi 4 for free but you need a dedicated machine for it
with lots of ram and atleast a xeon CPU.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah Workstation is good, but the free Server product is pretty crappy. Rather go with VirtualBox...
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Iv researched and virtualbox looks best. I just have to try download it. We don't have adsl at home unfortunately!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

If you are doing your MCSE you should have got a copy of Virtual PC in a CD pack somewhere...
If not you can downlaod it and use it.
Before I get flamed, I know it's nowhere near VMWare or HyperV - but it works well for people creating and using small networks for study purposesand is easier to configure.
rustypup wrote:vmware is absolute crud... especially on vlans....
Nonesense.
VMWare ESX is the industry leader in virtualization and for pretty good reason. It's miles ahead of any of it's competitiors including any HyperV offerings.
My old company had several ESX servers communication with clients and other ESX servers across VLANs with no hassles. Everything from normal connectivity to V-motion worked just fine.

If you have VLAN problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but my network aint one
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

vmware freeware still sucks worse than julius... deal with it... i sincerely doubt the OP is looking to pay for ESX... just saying... it sucks particularly badly at vlans... virtual pc is hardly any better... :/

also: get a job, hippy!
ghondar

Post by ghondar »

I have to agree vmware is ahead in the race where virtulization is concerned, nontheless it's personal prefrence what ever you can make work for your problem should be the solution you must use.
IMHO XenServer is not bad either.
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

It seems everyone has their own personal preference. Research on virtualbox shows that its better than vmware,plus its freeware.
But if I'm having a problem with virtualbox then I'll try another app.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Well Virtual machine has picked up its product for Windows 7... with its Windows XP mode.... I have had no problems hosting with it :) But as everyone has said, i have heard the Virtual Box is much better...
ghondar

Post by ghondar »

I think it's wrong in saying virtual box is better than vmware, we use vmware at high profile customers hosting 100's of servers,
virtual box is ok for a one man installs and running a few vm's but it does not scale data centres like esx.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i) clearly it also prevents you from reading the OP... :lol:
ii) the free vmware version is still cruddy... no matter how much you love it...
iii) virtualbox scales all over the place, including *nix platforms and blades... you vmware fanbois couldn't find factually accurate advice if it were sleeping with your significant other while taking potshots at your pet rabbit... prove me wrong! <This is a paid for advertisement by Trolls-R-Us. Trolls-R-Us! When you absolutely have to induce conniptions! (One free conniption with every new account. Trolls-R-Us is a wholly owned subsidiary of Beelzebub Enterprises. Conniptions may vary in actual size from that advertised. Excess usage may lead to Coventry.)>
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:the free vmware version is still cruddy... no matter how much you love it...
Yes, in it's current incarnation it is less than ideal.
But get your hands on the old VMWare GSX sever.
rustypup wrote:virtualbox scales all over the place, including *nix platforms and blades...
And like every other Java based app it suffers a speed penalty across all platforms for this scalability.
I'll tell you another secret: VMWare ESX also runs on nix.
But hey, good luck running Server 2008 with DX10 ona platform with little to no 3D. And you want to criticise VMWare for lack of support? As far as I know Virtualbox has no official support.

Ultimately, this is a petty and meaningless argument - which means I will own it, so don't go there girlfriend!
Both Virtualbox and VMWare do what they say they will and do it reasonably well. They will both be suitable for what the OP wants to do, but neither should be use in a production environment.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:good luck running Server 2008 with DX10 ona platform with little to no 3D.
:lol: newblet... virtualbox supported windows 7/2008 before they left alpha.... virtualbox has provided native access to GPU acceleration for over a year now...

that taste in your mouth is the delicate hint of fail... :P
jamin_za wrote:Ultimately, this is a petty and meaningless argument
how dare you!... my arguments may be meaningless, but never petty...
ghondar

Post by ghondar »

OK. lets agree to disagree because this can go on forever.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup wrote:
jamin_za wrote:virtualbox has provided native access to GPU acceleration for over a year now...
Yes, but it's an add-on and lots of users who install the graphics drivers for VBox still cant access the 3D acceleration or else have endless problems caused by it.

A friend of mine had a ticket open for 3 months with at virtualbox.org for a similar problem he was having, and they closed his ticket without fixing the problem. IIRC he had a Radeon HD3400 or something equally common and unremarkable.
At the time of my leaving the country he still had not got it right
japie_my_skapie

Post by japie_my_skapie »

What about Microsft Virtual PC 2007? I really enjoy the features of that product and from my little experience it crashes less than VirtualBox and less resource incentive than VMWare server edition
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

japie_my_skapie wrote:What about Microsft Virtual PC 2007?
Go read the first page, Nimrod