Setting up a VPN

Any software related topics go in here.
w1z4rd911

Setting up a VPN

Post by w1z4rd911 »

Howzit,

I don't know if this thread has up b4, coz I can't find it. But my bro and I want to set up a VPN for ourselves but I haven't got a clue how to do this. We wanna play games with an over Internet Network. I have gone through countless how to guides on the Net but we are still struggling to get a connection. Even machines on a LAN at home don't want to connect.

Thanks Guys
an00bis

Re: Setting up a VPN

Post by an00bis »

hi wizard, maybe I can help or someone else can :) . but i think we'd all need a little more info, like:

1.what game is this ?
2.does it have port settings ?
3.which firewall are you using ?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

an00bis wrote:hi wizard, maybe I can help or someone else can :) . but i think we'd all need a little more info, like:

1.what game is this ?
2.does it have port settings ?
3.which firewall are you using ?
an00bis here wants to figure out if you really need a vpn. I take it thought that bot of you are in diffirent houses and different locations. If so you either need to make use of a gaming server on the internet or get a proxy firewall with vpn capabilities and set it up properly. As your ip address will constantly change you will also need something like http://www.no-ip.com.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

try team viewer. It can be setup to make a VPN
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Or use Hamachi - VERY easy to use :)
to ápeiro anima
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

Ok, Howzit guys,

My vrother, father and myself live at different locations with each person running dsl 384 etc. I tried the no-ip route with registering a server. For some reason we cannot even connect to that server. I have setup my winxp to take on incoming connections etc, and run the no-ip client at the same time on the howto guide that is linked from no-ip.com.
The reason we want to do this is for music sharing picture sharing and gaming (battlefield doesn't want to see hamachi for some crazy reason, and overlord as well) it is just my desktop that runs xp but the other machines all run vista x32 and business. No my brother tries to connect via the windows setup, and through the diagnostic tool in Vista he can pickup my physical ip and detect the machine and says that the machine is online. I have a mega 105wr dsl modem and router, we have all opened the exceptions for ip-filtering in the modems as well as the lan options and allowed direct connections, vpn connections etc. (Ihave even tried manual port forwarding) but still no connection is established. unfortunately the fixed server i wanted to put in place no longer wants to show any life will not be running. At my previous company my BIS manager had set up the company VPN to run from his desktop which doubled up as an email server - hence why I want to try and replicate this, and also the lag from hamachi even after doing and edit on the hamachi-overide.ini to open full bandwidth comes in to hamper game play or even end the game connection. Most evenings we have the problem of not even being able to see the other machines on hamachi and recently can't get the Ping to drop below 1000ms. when performing a direct ping from a terminal I am able to get a ping average of about 32ms.

please bear with me on the time on my reply posts as I have just started a new job as a lecturer at a colledge for chef's so my times are a bit messed at the moment as I am now teaching night classes as well.

Thanks guys
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

w1z4rd911 wrote: please bear with me on the time on my reply posts as I have just started a new job as a lecturer at a colledge for chef's so my times are a bit messed at the moment as I am now teaching night classes as well.
[OT]
So you're cooking for the next JHB meet? :?:
[/OT]
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

doo_much,
So you're cooking for the next JHB meet?
Which JHB meet??? I missed sumthing???? :)
Snapa

Post by Snapa »

@mac, jus a tip, read the last post date before you Necro a thread?
Q6600, 8Gb ddr3 1066mhz, asus Gtx560 ti, Haf922, x3 mouse, x6 keyboard