Windows 7 physical memory blue screen

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Antilucio

Windows 7 physical memory blue screen

Post by Antilucio »

Hi i'm new to the forum but i was hoping someone could help...
I upgraded my pc end of last year to a dual core 2.7Ghz AMD and installed Windows 7 a few months back but i get a physical memory dumb blue screen if in on my pc for half an hour to an hour.
I've used registry apps to fix my registry but that doesn't seem to help much.

Does anyone have a possible solution perhaps?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Windows 7 physical memory blue screen

Post by Ron2K »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

First thing I would do would be to try to prove (or rule out) a faulty RAM module. Google for an app called "memtest86", burn the extremely small ISO to a spare CD you may have lying around, and then boot your system from said CD. It will then stress-test your memory; any errors that it picks up are usually indicative of a faulty RAM module, and replacing said module should then solve your issue.

EDIT: If the issue constantly occurs after a set time period, overheating may also be a factor - although typical symptoms here are reboots out of nowhere and not BSODs.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Antilucio

Post by Antilucio »

Ok thanks i'll try that and see what results come from it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

+1 on memtest.

Otherwise replace your Seamoss.

*waits for Pluto*
Antilucio

Post by Antilucio »

I'm running memtest86 now and it says that in the highest error address its reading 988 errors and its still climbing... What on earth does that mean? Oh its running on the multicore test... On the singlecore test i had no errors read in the highest error address.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

If you're getting errors in memtest, one of your memory modules is faulty. How many sticks of RAM do you have? If you have more than one, boot into memtest with only one installed and run it. Keep swapping till you find the faulty stick. Attach drawing pins to the memory module and throw it at the cat next door. Then buy yourself a replacement.
Antilucio

Post by Antilucio »

Have only one module but will get a replacement or 2 just to be on the safe side.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Can the memory controllers on the CPU be faulty? He says he only gets errors with the "multi core test"? Just in case, I'd suggest making an arrangement with the store that you can bring the RAM back if it does not turn out to be the problem. Maybe even take your box in and have them fit it for you if they do it for free and if they won't agree.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:I'd suggest making an arrangement with the store that you can bring the RAM back if it does not turn out to be the problem. Maybe even take your box in and have them fit it for you if they do it for free and if they won't agree.
Good plan.
Antilucio

Post by Antilucio »

I'll do that, cause it was strange from the two different readings that was why i brought it up.