Ps3 HDD Swop.

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DeeVeeDee

Ps3 HDD Swop.

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Has anyone ever swoped the HDD of a PS3 from one to another.

I have a PS3 60GB the one with all the bells and wisles which you dont get anymore.

I.E
Card readers.
Ps2 backward compatibility.

Its got what they call YLOD (Yellow light of Death)
when switching it on the light goes green then immediately amber and beeps 3 times.
From google i understand that, it could be various things from dry CPU paste to loose components on the MB or
PSU.

So now i'm thinking of replacing it but i dont want to loose my millions of video clips and photos on there.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
IcePick88

Re: Ps3 HDD Swop.

Post by IcePick88 »

http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips ... 875,00.htm

Plug the old drive in your pc and copy your stuff off, or just leave it in your pc.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

IcePick88 wrote:http://asia.cnet.com/digitalliving/tips ... 875,00.htm

Plug the old drive in your pc and copy your stuff off, or just leave it in your pc.
I will try connecting it to my external drive's casing, but the guide you gave involves using the backup feature from the PS3 XMB OS.
My PC3 cant turn on at all anymore.

And as far as i understand the PS3 filesystem is encrypted, and i also think that you cant exchange a drive which already has an OS on it cus
of the encryption, you can clone the drive to a bigger drive aslong as you use the same PS3 system.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Yeah I know the guide tells you to use the backup feature and I know yours is not working.

What I tried saying is that the drive is a SATA one and you can just plug it into your pc and copy off the stuff you need. So you won't lose anything.

When you get a new PS3 or this one is fixed, you can then use the backup feature to restore your stuff to the new drive again.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX