what do these 2 viruses do? can i keep them on my system?

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Slimshaedy

what do these 2 viruses do? can i keep them on my system?

Post by Slimshaedy »

I scanned my system last night using the AVG 9 trial version in the pc format dvd
(Thanx pcf!!!) And I found 2 infections. One was win32/NT or something in a dll file in my splinter cell conviction folder
But it doesn't seem to spread or do dodgy thing so I'm keeping it there til I can finish the game then I will remove it.
And another infection on my external hdd,its called F: var/var32.exe F drive being the ext hdd.
Does anyone know how bad these viruses are? Is it safe to keep the infections on my pc? I don't have an internet connection so it can't semd any details to some hacker....
Haha I don't know anything about viruses
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: what do these 2 viruses do? can i keep them on my system

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Dude, that's just too vague. "One was win32/nt or something" doesn't mean anything.

In short, however: No, you can't keep them on your system. A virus is a malicious bug that wants to eat your brain, so you should get rid of it ASAP.

And I don't mean use an antivirus app to get rid of it, I mean you should format. So hurry up and finish SC (only took me about 8 hours, so you should be done by now actually), and format.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

From what I gather - those are not the names of the viruses. No one can help you until you tell them what they are called.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Going out on a limb here but...

Do you own the original SC? If not kill the whole folder, buy the game and your virus will be gone ;). If you own the game, uninstall it, make sure the dll file is gone then reinstall and your problem will be gone. I am leaning on the 1st option being your problem ;).

As for the second it could be a worm but as said before we need full names of the virus in order to help, Googling var32.exe point to this with Avira: http://www.avira.com/zh-cn/threats/sect ... o.zjw.html .
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:Going out on a limb here but...

Do you own the original SC? If not kill the whole folder, buy the game and your virus will be gone ;)
There's no way at all that you can be sure of this, though. If it is a virus, it could have spread to the rest of the files on his HDD, in which case deleting only the SC folder will solve nothing ;)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

Do you own the original SC? If not kill the whole folder, buy the game and your virus will be gone ;)
There's no way at all that you can be sure of this, though. If it is a virus, it could have spread to the rest of the files on his HDD, in which case deleting only the SC folder will solve nothing ;)
You are correct but:
I scanned my system last night using the AVG 9 trial version
If he scanned his whole system and only one file in a game directory came back with that virus name it kinda makes things suspicious dontcha think? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

I removed the var32.exe virus off the hdd,did another scan and its clean.
Thanks anakha56 I checked that link. I've removed that virus off the hdd,but I'm left with the win32 one.
It doesn't seem to have spread,nothing dodgy happening on my system at all,no indication of a virus so it doesn't look bad?
So its just that one infection left...
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

You are correct but:
I scanned my system last night using the AVG 9 trial version
If he scanned his whole system and only one file in a game directory came back with that virus name it kinda makes things suspicious dontcha think? :P
Well, no. AVG has always been known to be a less-than-trustworthy anti-virus application. Heck, I'm surprised it even still exists :P

Viruses don't necessarily replicate themselves on a system. Often what happens is that they "call their buddies", if you will, and this process is repeated.

EDIT: I see he doesn't have a net connection. Hmmm, you may be right Anakha :)

At the end of the day, there's simply no way to guarantee that a virus is gone without a format, and I don't hesitate to format if I get a virus (haven't had one in years though). I'd format if I were OP.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Slimshaedy wrote:I removed the var32.exe virus off the hdd,did another scan and its clean.
Thanks anakha56 I checked that link. I've removed that virus off the hdd,but I'm left with the win32 one.
It doesn't seem to have spread,nothing dodgy happening on my system at all,no indication of a virus so it doesn't look bad?
So its just that one infection left...
Your initial post was a bit vague, but using my amazing powers of deduction I think I have the answer.

Seems to me like your flux capacitor is failing. Have no fear, you can pick up a good cheap one for next to nothing. PM me, I just bought one up at the local spasa shop but don't really need it.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Dam, people, it's obvious. The dude isn't running an original version and the cracked file he copied over into the install directory is being detected as a virus. If he had the original, he wouldn't have had a problem to uninstall and re-install, but he insists on keeping the virus to finish the game because he doesn't have the discs.

To answer your question: Yes the virus can stay, it won't kill you and it wont do anything noticeable to your system. Should the virus stay? NO, because you need it to run a pirated game!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

And that's where this topic is going to end. Just buy the game, dammit!
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.