Networking through Direct Dialup [SOLVED]

Network problem solving and tweaks
Cupis

Networking through Direct Dialup [SOLVED]

Post by Cupis »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with Remote Access, through Dial up? Direct connection between two computers using modems?

I currently use PCAnywhere, to connect to machines across the country through dialup. That application however is expensive, and i would prefer finding a cheaper application, or make a plan using Windows dial up connection.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Cupis
Last edited by Cupis on 04 Aug 2010, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: Networking through Direct Dialup

Post by Anthro »

RDP ? with dyndns host setups
Temporary Absence
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Anthro, you meaning i must set up a DYNDNS on an internet connection?

I am trying to avoid that for now. I want a direct connection, so i do not need to connect to internet. I want to use this connection method in emergencies, when the ADSL connections go down. I will still be able to get data from the branch and do what needed maintenance there is.

I have already played around with Windows built in Dial Up Server. I have had success dialing in and obtaining an IP address from the host computer, however i cannot browse or ping it. Anyone have experience dealing with this feature in windows?

My last Option would to be create a internet connection with the dial up, then maybe a VPN connection? Of course i can forget about all this, if anyone knows a free alternative to PCAnywhere

Thanks,
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

Quick Update time:

I have now managed to dial directly into the remote computer. However i cannot authenticate correctly on it. I am trying to browse the computers shared directories, when it asks for Authentication for the Dial Up network. Windows 7 however assumes this network is on your Domain, and keeps asking for a User name and Password on Domain:X. The problem is that remote machine is not part of a domain, and i do not know how to specify that.
Cupis

Re: Networking through Direct Dialup [SOLVED]

Post by Cupis »

[SOLVED] Update:

This was rather blond and noobish on my half. When you get asked for your Network Password... to bypass the Default Domain (which you are on) simply type the following

<Computer Name>\<User Name>

Well simple huh? I'm such an idiot..... LOL

Hope this thread was of use to some others.
Cupis

Re: Networking through Direct Dialup [SOLVED]

Post by Cupis »

I thought i would add something else.

I never realised that Remote Desktop in Windows offers a way to Transfer files between host computer, and remote computer.

Achieve this by:

-Open remote desktop
-Click options
-Click on the Local Resources
-Click more under 'Local devices and resources'
-Select what drives you want

When you connect to the remote computer you will now be able to view your drives in their 'My computer'.

With my particular setup, you can also just browse their shared files. Like any network PC.

Just thought this was interesting, so if you did not know. Now you do.