Mweb hosting question?

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Synthesis

Mweb hosting question?

Post by Synthesis »

Okay, All I've got for a mweb hosted site is the domain with the ftp user and password and I need to upload a site with a database.
The folder that the database is in by default appears to not have the correct write permissions. There is a default folder on the ftp folder called "_database" that you would think is there with the correct permissions. I've put my file in there and it doesn't have permissions.

So my question is: How do I change the permissions on an mweb microsft hosted site? Is there a control panel for mweb that I don't know of or do I need to contact mweb to change it for me?
Sorry for this question that could be solved myself, I just won't be able to get hold of the relevant people before next week, and I would like to have this sorted out tonight. Thanks.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Mweb hosting question?

Post by Bladerunner »

Sorry if I'm wrongly assuming you're a newbie, but did you try to set the folder write permissions to 777? And why are you putting the database in an ftp folder? That database folder you see on the ftp might be intended for backups.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I may have explained wrongly. It's not a database like SQL. It's just a file that needs to be written to by anyone. It can be placed anywhere with the sites php and html files.
But you're not accusing me wrongly. I am a newbie. I've only ever created sites and uploaded them with wysiwyg approach. Never dealt with folder permissions and such, so no, I don't know where to set folder permissions to 777? Don't even know what that means.

*edit*
Okay, figured out the 777 thing. If I use properties and set all users to read/write/execute I get the following error for the folder "dbase"

Code: Select all

505 Security server forbids SITE commands. Contact admin.  
MDTM dbase  
550 dbase: The system cannot find the file specified.  
So I guess I'm contacting admin tomorrow... :?
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Is the 'dbase' or 'database' folder outside the 'www' or 'public_html' folder? (Whatever your www directory is called)
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I would say no. When I connect with FTP, it takes me straight to the root where the index and site files go.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Can i see your code which accesses the db file?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

This is the line in the config file that says where the database file is. It is correct.

strConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/_database/stgdb654321.mdb")
Without getting technical, It's just a forum template that says I need to run setup.asp to isntall the database. When I click to create the tables I get the following:

Error: -2147467259	Operation must use an updateable query.
strSql: 	INSERT INTO FORUM_CATEGORY(CAT_STATUS, CAT_NAME) VALUES(1, 'Snitz Forums 2000')

strSql: 	INSERT INTO FORUM_MEMBERS (M_STATUS, M_NAME, M_USERNAME, M_PASSWORD, M_EMAIL, M_COUNTRY, M_HOMEPAGE, M_LINK1, M_LINK2, M_PHOTO_URL, M_SIG, M_VIEW_SIG, M_SIG_DEFAULT, M_DEFAULT_VIEW, M_LEVEL, M_AIM, M_ICQ, M_MSN, M_YAHOO, M_POSTS, M_DATE, M_LASTHEREDATE, M_LASTPOSTDATE, M_TITLE, M_SUBSCRIPTION, M_HIDE_EMAIL, M_RECEIVE_EMAIL, M_LAST_IP, M_IP, M_ALLOWEMAIL) VALUES(1, 'stgadmin', 'stgadmin', 'ac96fada22db8edc9db52e437d812fd0d105fcd61bcd3766e1190c5d42405f2d', 'yourmail@server.com', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', 1, 1, 1, 3, ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', 1, '20100612110013', '20100612105513', '20100612110013', 'Forum Admin', 0, 0, 1, '000.000.000.000', '000.000.000.000',1)

And there's another 20 lines or so of the same error.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

And that database is in a folder on the ftp?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

yes, it is.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Synthesis wrote:yes, it is.
And that's your problem.

I quote from http://www.asp.net/hosting/tutorials/de ... atabase-cs:
As noted earlier in this tutorial, the Book Reviews website s database is a SQL Server 2008 Express Edition database stored in the App_Data folder. It would stand to reason that deploying such a database would be as simple as copying the App_Data folder from the development environment to the production environment. However, most web host providers do not support hosting databases in the App_Data folder because of security reasons. Instead, web hosts provide an account on a SQL Server database server within their environment. Deploying the database from your development environment to the production environment requires getting your database registered on your web host s database server.

So how do you get your database from the development environment to the production environment? There are a couple ways to accomplish this depending on what services your web host offers. With some hosts, such as DiscountASP.NET, you can FTP a backup of the database or the actual .mdf file to your website and then, from the Control Panel, restore the backup file or attach the .mdf file to the SQL Server database server. With such tools deploying the database is as simple as copying the App_Data folder to the production environment and then attaching it via the Control Panel. This is perhaps the easiest and quickest way to publish your database for the first time.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

ok, now we're just getting beyond my expertise. I undersand the file permissions now and that because the site is hosted on a windows server I am not allowed to change any permissions. I must contact mweb for anything regarding databases and permissions.
All I wanted to do was get a template for a forum for all our employees to use to liase. I then dicovered about databases and our site hasn't got any SQL or anything. If there's no other way, I'll have to go this route. I just thought I had something when I found a template that uses an access database and they said there's no need for SQL databases. Mweb is expensive regarding this.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Synthesis wrote:All I wanted to do was get a template for a forum for all our employees to use to liase.
Well why not host it somewhere in the company then? Check for a spare computer. You don't need anything fancy. And then why not use an SMF or phpBB forum? It's very easy to host one of those if you use Wamp.
Synthesis wrote: I then dicovered about databases and our site hasn't got any SQL or anything. If there's no other way, I'll have to go this route. I just thought I had something when I found a template that uses an access database and they said there's no need for SQL databases. Mweb is expensive regarding this.
Let's just say MWeb is probably going to insist that you open a SQL account.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Thanks Bladerunner, that's not a bad idea. I would love to have our own server as one of the main reasons is to store a lot of large files that need to be accessed anytime, anywhere so you can imagine the costs of that through mweb. Right now we're on 3GB with 3GB transfer. Not expensive but worried about the 3GB transfer p/m. Only thing is that there isn't really a central location with an adsl line.
I'll play with these options as well as dedicated server "rental" or whatever you call it from cheaper hosts. Doesn't have to local as we'll be accessing the server worldwide as we need files. And with the prices of standard uncapped now, uploading won't be a problem.
phpBB was my first option until I learned I need SQL etc. so out of interest I looked for other "databaseless" options and thus appeared this thread.

Thanks for all the help though, I've learned a lot and so far I'm pretty sure I'll be moving from mweb to elsewhere and make sure I have all the right tools like SQL, php, access to my own file permissions, and probably move over to linux for hosting.

So, on that note. Any ideas of who I can host with that will give me everything I need?
I found this: http://www.mzansiwebhosting.co.za/web-hosting.html (check the business hosting for R159)
Would this suffice to host a site with a phpBB forum that supports uploading and dowloading files as well?
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Wouldn't you prefer overseas hosting? It'll be a lot cheaper.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I assume that is overseas. R159 for 5GB space and 50GB transfer and includes php, mySQL etc etc.
But if you know cheaper/better, sure let me know.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Synthesis wrote:I assume that is overseas. R159 for 5GB space and 50GB transfer and includes php, mySQL etc etc.
But if you know cheaper/better, sure let me know.
I've checked the package out, and I don't see any mention of FTP under the "Email/FTP" header?
Bob-Skanking

Post by Bob-Skanking »

man sounds like you need help.

firstly, mweb sucks I use them and I regret it.

secondly. Have you not heard of free hosting?

I use paid hosting for my 1 website and free hosting for my two forums. a GOOD free host is http://0000free.com/ they give you 1gb web space and 10gb traffic with no adverts on your page. all through a very nice cpanel with a script installer.

another you could try is http://www.freei.me which is also a free host with no adverts providing 5gb web space and 20gb traffic.

both provide full php, mysql and ftp access. 0000free even provide unlimited email addresses to your domain.

then you may also want your own domain instead of a subdomain the free hosts offer.

when it comes to free domains a .co.cc or .cz.cc are the only true free domains. google the co.cc i forgot it but the .cz.cc is http://nic.cz.cc

hope that helps
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

For cheap international hosting with unlimited bandwidth and webspace, I'd recommend Hostgator.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

@Bob-Skanking
There's no need to necropost. This thread was concluded. The OP already has everything up and running.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Be nice Lemmetjie.

Bob hasn't had a good first day...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey