Need help creating a Windows XP server

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Need help creating a Windows XP server

Post by wizardofid »

Hi guys

So as a side job I reinstall windows on computers, virus cleaning ect...that type of stuff.Now Yesterday a local school asked me to fix their computers.They have a server running 24 computers 24 X HP Compaq DX2200 MT pc's.

My main problem is that they have lost the key to the server(proper HP server case and 48 port switch) so I have to break the lock and replace it and couldn't do a proper site inspection yesterday. They have all the relevant Cd's and licenses for the computers.

The virus infection is pretty bad as only 3 computers still work however printing is done via the server which still works but there is know way of knowing if the infection has spread to the server as well.

Problem is they do not have a server license in the box with all their cd's.

How would I go about setting up a server with printing and username and password authenticity(with regular 30 day interval password changing as well as being able to reset passwords via a master account on either the server or any computer) and creating predefined user online drive space via XP pro since I do not know how big the server HDD space is the last one might not to be possible.

Since this will be via XP pro and not a windows server OS I presume 3rd party software could be use.

Also how would I go about the deploying SP3 from the server to all the computers at once.

Thanks if you guys can point me in the right direction.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
rustypup

Re: Need help creating a Windows XP server

Post by rustypup »

xp is going to bounce you... no more than 10 concurrent shares at any point in time, if memory serves me well..

if they're a registered educational institution than can pick up a valid license for some obscenely cheap price.... they may also be able to simply approach M$ SA for media if they can prove that the license has been maintained...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

So that does not leave me with much...oh boy. They are cash strapped.

Is it then possible to run the server run just like a normal pc would and create one standard password for students and admin accounts on each individual computer without authenticity and just print via the "server" computer.

Or would the 10 concurrent shares still apply...
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

if my info is correct, (and i'll be getting some contact info soon), the price for a new kit is around <R400 - this is a deal M$ has going for schools...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
3ddy

Post by 3ddy »

try using a program called AIDA32 (auditing software) to get the product key for the server
i know that it works on XP and server 2003
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well here is me hoping that the server is still okay they lost the server cabinet key back in 2006 (has not open since then),so I guess the infection isn't too bad or else it would have crashed and burned a long time ago...

From what I can tell they installed AVG then (2006) and never updated...
I know for a fact that the virus's that have spread in this area renders most computers completely useless the moment you have disinfected it as it attacks system files and does a endless log on log off loop...

I am afraid that if I clean the server the same is going to happen however if I remove all the computers reinstall windows Latest purchased license of avast anti-virus firewall ect..there will not be a reinfection (I have arranged to give them weekly av updates) since this network is not connected to any internet connection nor will it ever be no ADSL or ISDN or wireless connectivity in this area for at least another 50 years...

A quick "fix" till they can gather the money for a license....the school is on a extremely tight budget and a couple of hundred would warrant an emergency "meeting" as such....
3ddy

Post by 3ddy »

AID32 is free so if the server is still working it will provide you with the license key that the server is running on so that you can reinstall it etc
other option would be installing another anti-virus like Symantec that will point you to some neat steps to manually removing the virus (be warned these steps may involve going into the register and making changes there)
as far as the "log off log on" loop that will require some changes being made to the registry of the computer to do that you will need a bootable CD that allows you to explore the local registry of the machine as the chances are the the machine will also get into that loop in safe mode
one up side is that you might be able to dodge the loop by logging in through another profile on the machine (Administrator)
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well I will setup the computers tomorrow, created 24 bootable hp restore disks slip streamed with SP3, I had no choice as time was limited.If time permits I will tackle the server and clean out the dust bunnies....seriously 4 years of dust on the keyboard....

thanks for the headsup I have a cdkey reader for all win versions
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Okay guys need some more help...

Have formatted the 24 computers and had a look at the server...

The 24 computers are running Win XP pro....

The server is running Win 2003 Enterprise Edition and is in perfectly working order....as the network cable some how got removed a while back and never got infected what so ever.

Now from my limited knowledge of win 2003 I had a look around and from what is can see the domain has never been created so the active directory was pretty much useless.What I have done so far is to run the automated server installation tool that installs a domain ect.All the computers have dynamic IP addresses which work, can both ping the server and other computers without any problems as well as mapping network drives.

I then changed the domain names on the computers to the newly server created domain and as I test I created a test user account on the server but the computer does not log on to that account...Now logic tells me that the computers needs to be configured to use the server for log on purposes, that is where I am stuck.

How do I go about configuring the computer(s) to log on via the server. Since they are not very computer savvy people at the school adding new users would be pretty senseless as individual accounts would just cause more problems than what it is worth is it possible to create a standard user account for the students and a standard account for the teachers...

Then the last problem setting up a HP laserjet printer that is connected via a network cable since I do not have the address and scanning the network is fruitless and there is no actual address listed for it...
Last edited by wizardofid on 22 Jul 2010, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

As far as the printer is concerned. Try holding the green button down for 5 seconds. It should print out all its systems info including IP address. We have used two different types of HP printers at our office and they both work like that. This is assuming it is a model without a screen. If it has a screen go into reports and make it print a system or network report. That should help.

EDIT: From the article I just read (and it may be wrong) XP Home does not support active directory and therefore can not log into a domain. Sucks.

Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

DJT wrote:As far as the printer is concerned. Try holding the green button down for 5 seconds. It should print out all its systems info including IP address. We have used two different types of HP printers at our office and they both work like that. This is assuming it is a model without a screen. If it has a screen go into reports and make it print a system or network report. That should help.

EDIT: From the article I just read (and it may be wrong) XP Home does not support active directory and therefore can not log into a domain. Sucks.

Dj
Sorry just fixed the post it is XP pro ! oops
but still http://chris.pirillo.com/xp-home-domain-fix-inbox/
3ddy

Post by 3ddy »

have you added each pc to the domain?
each PC will need to manually be added to the domain
right click my computer > properties > network ID > and then follow the prompts
once the PC has been added to the domain with your test user any future domain users created on the server can then log in from any PC
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

3ddy wrote:have you added each pc to the domain?
each PC will need to manually be added to the domain
right click my computer > properties > network ID > and then follow the prompts
once the PC has been added to the domain with your test user any future domain users created on the server can then log in from any PC
lol I just noticed my error I added them to a workgroup instead of adding them to a domain...I guess that happens when working a few hours straight.....
3ddy

Post by 3ddy »

several hours straight doing the same thing over and over again will cause that to happen
draw yourself up a check list so that you don't miss or mess up anything