phpBB attachment progress bar?

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Synthesis

phpBB attachment progress bar?

Post by Synthesis »

Hello

Can someone please help before I go insane. I need to add a real-time progress bar for adding attachments to a post. It's for my company and the files are very large we are uploading. For a better idea of what I want, I found this:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1740135

It's awesome and exactly what I want but I have spent a few days trying to figure out how to install this. I give up because I don't even know where to start.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: phpBB attachment progress bar?

Post by Ron2K »

Without looking at it in much depth, I can tell you already that this is probably one of the trickiest MODs to install.

First off, you appear to need the uploadprogress package enabled and installed on your server, and if you're not running Apache with mod_php and at least PHP 5.2, you have no hope. I haven't looked up how this would be installed (check its documentation), but I'm guessing that it involves compiling from source, copying the resulting shared object (or DLL if you're on a Windows machine) to the required location, and editing a few conf files. Yuk.

And then, you still need to go and edit your phpBB files. The MOD package will have an nicely-formatted XML file detailing what lines of code you need to change, and where. I think that AutoMOD is now stable, which will automate the process - I however never completely trust these processes and prefer to do this kind of thing by hand (in fact, this is how I update this forum whenver phpBB patches are released).

Unfortunately, while I don't have internet at home, I can't offer much help beyond this. If you don't come right and if someone else here can't offer you better support, try asking in the thread on the phpBB forums that you linked to.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Synthesis

Re: phpBB attachment progress bar?

Post by Synthesis »

Ron2K wrote: First off, you appear to need the uploadprogress package enabled and installed on your server, and if you're not running Apache with mod_php and at least PHP 5.2, you have no hope. I haven't looked up how this would be installed (check its documentation), but I'm guessing that it involves compiling from source, copying the resulting shared object (or DLL if you're on a Windows machine) to the required location, and editing a few conf files. Yuk.
Yep, took you a quick look to see what took me a few days. Since this was my first mod I figured this is just how it works. Thanks for confirming I'm not totally nuts and this is just non-user-friendly install.

Anywho, thanks for the automod tip. I've installed it and it works beautifully. I did try with uploadprogress but it doesn't work with automod.

I think my next step is to find a different, more user friendly, progress bar mod.

Thanks anyway, if someone still can be of assistance or know of a mod I can use, I'm still in need.