Booting From A Live CD in Ubuntu?

Any software related topics go in here.
H2Row

Booting From A Live CD in Ubuntu?

Post by H2Row »

I have a laptop that is running Ubuntu. In the PC Format cover disk for July, it has Fedora 13 on side 2. I am attempting to use Fedora in place of Ubuntu, but this isn't exactly happening.

When I try boot (with the disk in the laptop, the correct way up - side 2), it automatically loads Ubuntu, despite the Fedora disk being in the drive. I thought possibly it was just GRUB loading Ubuntu "automatically", so tried to disable it/allow it to give me time to view the boot menu, but nothing changed.

I then put a disk for Windows in and started up the laptop, which was successful. It took me to a menu asking whether I wanted to boot from the disk or from the hard drive.

Any suggestions?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Booting From A Live CD in Ubuntu?

Post by Stuart »

Um, the disc isn't bootable itself, is it? At least it isn't normally. It probably just has the Fedora ISO on Side B, which you then have to unpack to a bootable DVD to use as a Live disc.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I should note that I haven't actually tested this theory. My cover disc is on the other side of the room, and right now I'm under a blanket next to a gorgeous redhead, watching Mickey Mouse, and distinctly too lazy to get up and walk across the room to get my DVD.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

It's just an ISO file yes. You need to burn it to a disc.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
H2Row

Post by H2Row »

That would make sense :) Thanks a lot