Iburst going uncapped

Network problem solving and tweaks
Prime

Iburst going uncapped

Post by Prime »

but only between midnight and 8am

Hot Toffee fudge found here wrote:iBurst is to launch ‘free Internet access’ between midnight and 8am to active iBurst Wireless customers during a three month trial to start 1 April 2010.

The trial is open to both contract and month-to-month subscribers on all iBurst Wireless packages. Subscribers will essentially be able to use the Internet ‘free’ between midnight and 8am, with all traffic being zero-rated and therefore not counting towards their monthly bandwidth allocation.
This service will be of particular value to users who can schedule their online backups or large file transfers during the 8 hour zero rated window.

This service is initially being introduced as a free trial to test market viability, and ensure that iBurst is able to offer a good customer experience, before officially launching it as a value added service. The launch is set for July this year.

“We are always looking for ways to improve the affordability and accessibility of our broadband products,” says iBurst CEO Jannie van Zyl.

“This is a value add for people who are online late at night. With many users performing specific functions at this time, we felt there was an opportunity to reduce the cost of access even more for our customers and give them unmatched value in the wireless broadband space. Already the most cost effective wireless broadband provider, iBurst is working hard to deliver cheaper, better solutions to those who don¹t have access to wireline systems.”

Van Zyl added that this ‘free after hours’ Internet service will give iBurst Wireless subscribers an uncapped experience after midnight to allow them to do batch uploads or downloads, backups, late night surfing or gaming sessions.

According to iBurst this is only the first of a number of initiatives which consumers can expect from them over the next three months.

“We are launching even more services to provide wireless Internet services at wireline-like pricing,” said Van Zyl. “In addition, exciting new wire-line services are on the cards.”

“iBurst has consistently differentiated itself in the wireless space by bringing its pricing down to stay in line with wireline technologies. We want to set our price, and how we deliver the services, so that it is easier to compare iBurst wireless with the fixed line services, although our true competitors in this space are the mobile carriers with 3G,” Van Zyl concluded.
They hinted at this last year. I can run my steam updates finally :mrgreen:

And No, it predates April 1st :wink:
1gn1t0r

Re: Iburst going uncapped

Post by 1gn1t0r »

Iburst uncapped is sure gonna be expensive. MWEB has a offer just over R300 with the line included
Prime

Post by Prime »

1gn1t0r wrote:Iburst uncapped is sure gonna be expensive. MWEB has a offer just over R300 with the line included
its 800 bucks for the 8 gig package which runs at 1mbit/s and has an uncapped slot during low demand periods. this is actually sensible. instead of clogging the network during the day, schedule it during those periods when usage is low. I can do about 4 to 8 simultaneous downloads and maintain a download rate of 50-100 units per second.

plus its wireless :P
Zaphrox

Post by Zaphrox »

Oh yeah, here I come online gaming :D :D :D ... will need to do the sleeping at work in the next few months :mrgreen:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Zaphrox wrote:Oh yeah, here I come online gaming :D :D :D ... will need to do the sleeping at work in the next few months :mrgreen:
I'm doing all my steam downloads during that window period. given that my steam folder went by by this morning, i'm going to be doing alot of that :lol:
Zaphrox

Post by Zaphrox »

Prime wrote:
Zaphrox wrote:Oh yeah, here I come online gaming :D :D :D ... will need to do the sleeping at work in the next few months :mrgreen:
I'm doing all my steam downloads during that window period. given that my steam folder went by by this morning, i'm going to be doing alot of that :lol:
Yip, think I'm gonna finish downloading the Orange Box once I'm tired out. Bought it about 2 years ago and still haven’t finished yet.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah this is working out great so far! I'm doing between 2.2 and 2.5 GB a night on my Steam downloads...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

iBurst must have done some upgrades to cope with this because my downloads at night are way faster than before. Last night I was averaging 108 KB/sec on torrents! My Steam chugs along at between 70 and 80 KB/sec usually...
Prime

Post by Prime »

my speedtest said over 1Mbit/s the other night. :? but yes, they have been upgrading, this has been in planning since last year unlike certain other isp's.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I cannot recall any time where someone actually had good words for iBurst ! - seems they are pulling up their socks..
They just doing major city centres though, no coverage in the south coast currently.
BUT im happy with my 4mb
Temporary Absence
Zaphrox

Post by Zaphrox »

so, it is now 3 month down the line...any news of this on a permanent basis?? I really, really hope so. Where can i sign :mrgreen:

Just out of interest... how many gigs have u used this month? I'm sitting at 23933.94 MB so far
Zaphrox

Post by Zaphrox »

So guys this is the story from Iburst:
Free data after hours
If you use the Internet from 12am to 8am, up to 90% of your data is free.

The amount of data that you get free is dependent on your package (see table below). Midnight to Morning is available on iBurst Wireless packages (excluding Wireless Start).

For example: If you are on a Wireless 5 package and download 1Gb after hours, 600Mb will be free and only 400Mb will count towards your data limit.

Package Discount Free data per 1Gb Max free data
Wireless 1 20% 200Mb 1.25Gb
Wireless 2 50% 500Mb 4Gb
Wireless 5 60% 600Mb 12.5Gb
Wireless 8 80% 800Mb 40Gb
Wireless 18 90% 900Mb 150Gb

Internet without limits
You can sign up for Uncapped Antime and get unlimited Internet access after hours. Click here for details of our uncapped service.

Please note:
•Midnight 2 Morning is not available on iBurst iDSL, iBurst WiMAX and iBurst Wireless Start.
•This service is only active while you are on within your data limit. If you reach your limit and buy additional data, your Midnight 2 Morning benefit will apply to this data.
---> Link Here <---
Uncapped AnytimeUnlimited internet access after your limit
If you have an iBurst Wireless package you can get unlimited Internet access at slightly slower speeds, once you have reached your limit.

When you use the Internet after hours (12am to 8am), you will enjoy access at full speed. Any data that you use during this period will not count towards your data limit.

Uncapped Anytime @ 64 kbps
For an additional flat rate of R199 per month, you get unlimited internet access at speeds of up to 64kbps.

Uncapped Anytime @ 128 kbps
For an additional flat rate of R249 per month, you get unlimited internet access at speeds of up to 128 kbps.
---> Link Here <---