The 22" (and larger) LCD Thread

Any hardware related topics go here.
naughty

Re: The 22" (and larger) LCD Thread

Post by naughty »

ryanrich wrote:It is possible as far as I know, you need a Mini Display Port to DVI converter. Those Apple IPS displays are really awesome...
they are definitely awesome but as usual with all things apple they are too expensive for what they are and you will definitely find something just as awesome but much cheaper as an alternative IMHO
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

That's for sure... Apple is very, very expensive... it's one of those situations where you pay for the name. Maybe also because the market here isn't AS big as in other places. But that's just guess work. :D
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

naughty wrote:
ryanrich wrote:It is possible as far as I know, you need a Mini Display Port to DVI converter. Those Apple IPS displays are really awesome...
they are definitely awesome but as usual with all things apple they are too expensive for what they are and you will definitely find something just as awesome but much cheaper as an alternative IMHO
Not really, the other branded IPS displays such as Dell and HP are just as expensive, if not more...
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I'd rather have 3 smaller screens connected to one PC, say 3 23-inch LCDs than one massive 30-inch.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Mystical_Titan wrote:I'd rather have 3 smaller screens connected to one PC, say 3 23-inch LCDs than one massive 30-inch.
Yeah that can work. Dell has a 22" IPS display for around R2800...
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Or 3 x P2770H. :P
Studio Touch Visagie

Post by Studio Touch Visagie »

naughty wrote:
I have been trying for weeks to find a 24" panel that uses the glossy display type panel. Couldn't find any hence I am leaning towards Apple.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

You sure you want glossy? Be sure then to also hire someone to stand by your screen all day and wipe it clean every 5 minutes. :lol:
Studio Touch Visagie

Mystical_Titan wrote:You sure you want glossy? Be sure then to also hire someone to stand by your screen all day and wipe it clean every 5 minutes. :lol:
I had a 19" HP glossy and the colors were amazing especially darker scenes. Then "upgraded" to a 24" LG and then samsung and I am quite disappointed with every matte screen that I had seen ever since. No one touches my screen , no pun intended, If I see a finger going towards my screen I promptly deliver a backhand in that person's direction!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Yeah, I don't mean people touching it, but the gloss seems to be a magnet to dust!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Finger prints aren't the problem, reflections are! My laptop has a glossy screen and it drives me nuts with these office lights!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Yeah, that too...

Although, LED screen don't have that problem? Same glossy effect, but no reflection, I think. Can't remember having any issues with my XL2370. Man, that was an awesome screen. Would still have it if it wasn't so small.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Yeah if its the colours and contrast you're after, go for a LED...
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

The XL2370 has such awesome picture quality, it's almost enough to make you forget the size... almost. :D
Studio Touch Visagie

So is there a 24" LED screen on the market? Apart from Apple of course
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

LG have that LED...was a few pages back in this thread... cant remember if it was 23" or 24"

But from what I read, the samsung equivalent is the better buy, but quite a bit more $$
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

23-inch. Samsung XL2370. Beautiful, beautiful screen...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, best screen I've owned, but as MT has said, you get used to the size so quickly. I can't wait for the 27" version... :P
naughty

Post by naughty »

ryanrich wrote:Yup, best screen I've owned, but as MT has said, you get used to the size so quickly. I can't wait for the 27" version... :P
you get used to the 27" within a week too :( - ive been using my 50" plasma TV as a monitor for the second PC and to tell you the truth the 2770 looks like its a tiny toy by comparison only it flickers a bit less but picture quality is better on the bigger screen too anyway for some reason or the other

wish i could buy another 50" plasma for the bedroom instead of the 2770 - its making me want a projector even more now
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

lol I guess it's a never ending struggle then... 3x 50" Plasma's running eyefinity. Now there's a thought... :P
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

Only 3? :D

How about 6 of Samsung's new 3D TVs running EyeFinity? :P
naughty

Post by naughty »

Mystical_Titan wrote:Only 3? :D

How about 6 of Samsung's new 3D TVs running EyeFinity? :P
how about not being greedy :P (just joking LOL)

one samsung 3D TV would be enough for me (if someone else pays for it so i can complain about it as much as i like) :mrgreen: ...... and i would be complaining a lot about any form of LED/LCD judging from all recent LCD's/LED screens that ive used

the plasma experience is just smoother and despite the reflections caused by the glossy/glassy surface it is a lot closer to the smoothness of the old CRT analog displays - its much easier on the eyes and causes less strain and damage - both my eyes are shortsighted at around -12 and LCD really causes me much grief - the response time issues create motion blur that makes my eyes water

as for 3D though i dont think im a good candidate for using those cos heres the glasses i already wear

so how am i going to wear any 3D glasses? ..... i cannot do any laser treatment cos they say the laser surgery will heal quickly with my eyes in other words it will make my eyesight worsen again and i cannot use contact lenses cos if the curvature of my eyes - so for me analog type of smoothness of plasma works the best

so yep i still am a huge fan of plasma instead of LCD/LED both of which suffer from too many issues for me ie response time ailments as well as refresh rate problems causing motion blur as well as jerkiness of picture motion and then theres still color banding and a comparative lack of smoothness

so i dont care if people call me old fashioned or plain old grumpy but to honest im actually mildly disliking (as opposed to hating) most LCD screens im using at the moment because for the amount you spend on them they are not anywhere close to being as good as a really good plasma type screen
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

My glasses are cooler than yours. ;)
naughty

Post by naughty »

Mystical_Titan wrote:My glasses are cooler than yours. ;)
ah but they are of no use if all they do is make things dark (in other words sunglasses) :P - then all they are was a waste of money
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

No, I mean my regular glasses. :?

Owned my XL2370 for a week before I sold it. :D