exFat or Fat32?

Any software related topics go in here.
DeeVeeDee

exFat or Fat32?

Post by DeeVeeDee »

I bought a myself a new Verbatim 250GB for bout R200 bucks.

When i first plugged it in the Filesystem was FAT32.
But since i will be copying all my personal data to it , I cant afford to lose anything.

So i wanted to be sure by formatting it again.
I have Windows 7 , but Windows 7 only allows you to format it in exFAT or NTFS.

I chose exFAT but now i'm not so sure if this was a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table, (also sometimes incorrectly and inappropriately known as FAT64) is a proprietary, patent-pending[2] file system suited especially for USB flash drives,[citation needed] introduced by Microsoft for embedded devices in Windows Embedded CE 6.0, in their desktop operating systems Windows Vista Service Pack 1[3] and Windows 7, and in their server operating system Windows Server 2008.[4]

exFAT can be used where the NTFS file system is not a feasible solution, due to data structure overhead, or where the file size or directory restrictions of previous versions of the FAT file system are unacceptable.

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (both x86 and x64) users can add support for exFAT by installing an update from Microsoft.[1] An experimental, open source Linux kernel module that supports the reading of exFAT files is currently under development.[5] A closed source, read/write Linux driver, licensed and derived from the Microsoft exFAT driver, is available for purchase from Tuxera.[6]
Note!
users can add support for exFAT by installing an update from Microsoft.[1] An experimental, open source Linux kernel module that supports the reading of exFAT files is currently under development.
I dont want to be installing a patch on PC's i want to use my Drive on also i will probably try to connect the drive to my Ps3

Would it be a bad idea leaving it like it is as exFAT or rather format it as FAT32 ?
And how can i format it to FAT32 again.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
Jonboy

Re: exFat or Fat32?

Post by Jonboy »

Why are you formatting to FAT instead of just doing it NTFS?
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Jonboy wrote:Why are you formatting to FAT instead of just doing it NTFS?
Cus NTFS is not needed here, and it will not be compatible to other devices or other OS's like linux.

Yes linux can read and write NTFS but corruption is still very possible even in Ubuntu.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

So i left it as exFAT unplugged it and when i plugged it back at a later stage a 100GB of stuff i copied was gone!

So i suppose it has to be NTFS :-(
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I don't think exFAT is read by any 'Nix OS - dont confuse it with the old FAT32 format, it's not the same.
It's a proprietary Microsoft format, and from what I've read - not a very good one...

Stick to NTFS
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

jamin_za wrote:I don't think exFAT is read by any 'Nix OS - dont confuse it with the old FAT32 format, it's not the same.
It's a proprietary Microsoft format, and from what I've read - not a very good one...

Stick to NTFS
I dont think its a proprietary Microsoft format ,cus its Open source
Some people also incorrectly refer to it as Fat64 i refer to is as a FAT load of %^$%.

Both Ubuntu 9.10 and XPSP3 couldn't not read it.

I'm sticking to NTFS for now :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

exFAT is not open source.
It's owned by Microsoft, google me wrong.
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

jamin_za wrote:exFAT is not open source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
introduced by Microsoft for embedded devices in....
open source Linux kernel module that supports the reading of exFAT files is currently under development.[5] A closed source, read/write Linux driver, licensed and derived from the Microsoft exFAT driver, is available for
Its the module available in linux that is open source and under dev. But the FAT it self belongs to Microsoft.

Like i said its It's owned by Microsoft and its not open source. :mrgreen:
shiv

Post by shiv »

format e: /fs:fat32 ?? :wink:
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

DeeVeeDee wrote:Like i said its It's owned by Microsoft and its not open source. :mrgreen:

Actually jamin said it's not open source.
And
jamin_za wrote:I don't think exFAT is read by any 'Nix OS - dont confuse it with the old FAT32 format, it's not the same.
You said:
DeeVeeDee wrote:I dont think its a proprietary Microsoft format ,cus its Open source
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Monty wrote:
DeeVeeDee wrote:Like i said its It's owned by Microsoft and its not open source. :mrgreen:

Actually jamin said it's not open source.
And
You said:
DeeVeeDee wrote:I dont think its a proprietary Microsoft format ,cus its Open source
LOL I know what i said :mrgreen: I was being sarcastic.
I normally do this when i'm wrong to try and confuse people :lol:
shiv

Post by shiv »

shiv wrote:format e: /fs:fat32 ?? :wink:
DeeVeeDee, have you tried the above?