Facebook revises privacy policy, location features coming..

Viruses, hackers and crackers

Will you move away from Facebook if these kind of features are implemented ?

I am paranoid over my privacy, seriously considering not using Facebook anymore
12%
Don't use Facebook, never will
18%
I don't really care, as long as I can stay in contact with family and friends
12%
It's still better than MySpace
12%
Pfft, Google knows everything anyway
47%

Total votes: 17

Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Facebook revises privacy policy, location features coming..

Post by Anthro »

Facebook revises privacy policy, location features coming soon?
The deputy general counsel for Facebook, Michael Richter, announced in a posting that Facebook would be revising their privacy policy again, and giving users a chance to provide feedback on some of the purposed changes.

The post talks about location sharing, which would add a location to something a user posts. This was Facebook’s original intent, but has since changed to the concept of adding a “Place”, such as a page to a restaurant. This is a concept that Facebook is currently testing on some individuals, using QR Codes.

QR Codes can be read through a mobile phone, using its camera. The QR Code can hold information that will be either retrieved in a readable format, or included as a hyperlink to website.

However, Facebook is also planning to introduce a small set of pre-approved websites that will be able to offer users a more personalized experience when users visit their website. The post mentions that these select group of partners would be able to access features only available to them.

Facebook’s proposed privacy policy mentions that if a friend visits one of these selected websites, general information about you and your friend will be collected.

Source
Temporary Absence
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Facebook revises privacy policy, location features comin

Post by Nuke »

You lack one option - "I don't care, I don't use facebook anyway" Far saver than any privacy option.
Prime

Post by Prime »

If you knew were i was, i would have to kill you. :lol:

Some twitter Apps allow this already. you can let it detect your location and display it as part of a tweet. Its not like FB can detect which shop you are buying lingerie from unless you tell it, so i fail to see what the big deal is. :?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

If they give away my secrets I will have to injure them to death!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You do realise that you haven't actually given us a yes-I-will-move-away-from-BookFace option, right?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Stuart wrote:If they give away my secrets I will have to injure them to death!
:lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

As long as Facebook is not peeking thru my bathroom window when I'm in the shower, I don't have any privacy gripes with anything they do.

They offer a service - one which we don't pay for. The trade-off with that is they have to make money to keep supporting and improving it.
So they advertise. Sometimes aggressively, sometimes discretely.
I don't really mind if they log my FB browsing to see what I like to look at and focus the ads I see accordingly.

Hell, I even spend money on useless FB junk. For the past three years I have given my other FB "gifts" that I have to pat $1 for...
It gives my mum some joy, and it helps support a site I derive hours of entertainment from.

Look at Youtube - they track what videos I watch and "suggest" videos in a similar vein... now I can open my Youtube homepage at from the office because all the suggested videos are NSFW :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Prime wrote:Its not like FB can detect which shop you are buying lingerie from unless you tell it, so i fail to see what the big deal is. :?
jamin_za wrote:As long as Facebook is not peeking thru my bathroom window when I'm in the shower, I don't have any privacy gripes with anything they do.
+1

Internet privacy is dead. People need to get that into their heads. If you're on the web, your info is there too, and I really don't see the problem with that. I'm okay to have almost anything about me online - pretty much everything except for my home phone number and my address. Beyond that, I don't have anything to hide.

My location is not something I'll post to facebook if I'm at home, but if I'm out of the house, I don't care if facebook knows where I am :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

Prime wrote:Its not like FB can detect which shop you are buying lingerie from unless you tell it, so i fail to see what the big deal is. :?
who cares if people know I go to Temptations any way?
jamin_za wrote:As long as Facebook is not peeking thru my bathroom window when I'm in the shower, I don't have any privacy gripes with anything they do.
Heck yah I don't want them showing us Jamin in the shower either!
DJV wrote:Internet privacy is dead. People need to get that into their heads. If you're on the web, your info is there too, and I really don't see the problem with that.

Inderdaad
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

americantsm1 wrote:Heck yah I don't want them showing us Jamin in the shower either!
Well then where would you like to see me? Maybe it can be arranged :twisted:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Got this when I visited Bookface today.
Please review recent activity on your Facebook account

Your account was recently accessed from a location we're not familiar with. For your protection, please review your recent activity to make sure no one is using your Facebook account without permission.

Reviewing your activity takes just a few moments. We'll start by asking you a couple of questions to confirm that this is your account. (If we recognise your computer, you'll be able to skip this step.)
At 23:46 last night someone tried to access my account from the Netherlands using a PC running XP and within Opera. I had to change my password. :?
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

If we recognise your computer, you'll be able to skip this step.
0.O
Seeing as South Africa has very few static IP's, I presume they have something other than a cookie identifying me on their networks.
I don't like that.
Temporary Absence
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

The stop using FB :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anthro wrote:
If we recognise your computer, you'll be able to skip this step.
0.O
Seeing as South Africa has very few static IP's, I presume they have something other than a cookie identifying me on their networks.
I don't like that.
Either way, if they are correct that the PC was running XP and Opera, it wasn't me. Besides, I was sleeping that time on Saturday night . . . assuming it was 23:46 our time.
jee

Post by jee »

hmmm the bookface is taking on a stumbleupon tumbs up approach - only here it tells your friends what you are up to... and i found out that from my imageshack account (which is on a totally different e-mail and username) i'm logged in as my bookface account - hmmmmmm

but then, google knows it all...
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... pdate.html
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.