Webafrica Titan DSL

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Webafrica Titan DSL

Post by Stuart »

http://www.webafrica.co.za/adsl/titan_dsl_special

So Webafrica gave themselves a bad rap recently, but this is not bad for a capped offering. I'd be interested to see how limited this "special" is. In fact, I think I'm going to ask.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Webafrica Titan DSL

Post by GreyWolf »

I have had to deal with them recently, for web hosting. They are worse than useless. They could not set up PHP and SQL on a web server. I mean seriously.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm with GW on this one. Past experiences with WA have made me avoid them like the plague. I wont deal with those guys again.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:I have had to deal with them recently, for web hosting. They are worse than useless. They could not set up PHP and SQL on a web server. I mean seriously.
Tbh, I always found their support FAR superior to Afrihost. Dealing with Mweb support in my experience is like pulling teeth. Admittedly, most of the time I've had to deal with WA support I've just MSNed g0ldback, but he does seem surprisingly clued up for a guy who tried to run F.E.A.R on his EEE PC.

Website says,
The Titan DSL Specials come as monthly accounts with fixed life-time special rates.
I assume this means that this "special" is permanent if you take it. Webafrica have always had pretty generous shaping policies, and after the recent debacle their network probably won't be as congested as Mweb's or Afrihosts. :lol:

Freezone is also a bonus. Plus MyBB says that R15 per GB topups are soon to be announced.

It may be a very real option, given your usage needs.

One thing that does baffle me somewhat is the offer of only one concurrent connection. I fail to see why they should limit a capped offering to a single connection. But that's just me.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Plus, of course, you get connection speeds of up to 10mbps, so this should be quite attractive when line speed upgrades kick in. Mweb has already suggested in their website that their accounts will NOT come with free line speed upgrades when Telkom rolls these out. So if your line gets upgraded to a faster speed, you'll have to take a higher Mweb package to take advantage of it. Unless they change this.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

hmm. now i am at a cross-roads. do i go with this R 15/gb offer and get the full line speeds later. or go to mweb and stick to 384kbps.

any help here?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DeathStrike wrote:hmm. now i am at a cross-roads. do i go with this R 15/gb offer and get the full line speeds later. or go to mweb and stick to 384kbps.

any help here?
Ja, I'm with you. The increased line speed at the same price is attractive. I don't really need uncapped for the office (and have, in fact, already cancelled my Afrihost uncapped), so I'm seriously considering this offer for the office.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

I'll be taking a good look at this option. For not too much more than I pay for Do Level 2, a generous allocation of data and WA's Freezone, I can;t think of many reasons
not to jump ship.
I wonder how much PT would be involved in cancelling my Do Account?

Do any of you know what hoops I need to jump through to cancel my Do account?

//*Update

I signed up for WebAfrica's Titan Complete Plan 1 last night and called Telkom Internet to
cancel my Do account during my lunchbreak.

Current status is that my order has been approved. WebAfrica have now submitted the order to Telkom [Pending]
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Hmmmmm, not fantastic. I opted for this after cancelling my Afrihost uncapped at work. Speed download test is acceptable (our work line syncs at 3mbps), but upload is horrendous. Ping test is meh.

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Right, so I signed up for this Friday afternoon, and immediately sent back the debit order confirmation form. They only got back to me on Sunday about it, confirming they had received it. They did not at that time give me any login details, so I gave the support line a call. I told the guy I had received an email confirming receipt of the debit order confirmation. He asked me to confirm some details (address, phone number) and activated my account for me, giving me my access details. I immediately signed in and have been using it now since yesterday (see Speed Test / Ping Test above).

Then, this morning, about ten minutes ago, I received a call from Web Africa. They wanted to know when they could expect my debit order confirmation so they could activate my account. I told the lady on the phone I had already sent it. She asked if I had faxed or emailed it, and I told her I had faxed it. She confirmed the same details as the support desk and promised to check with Billing Department posthaste about my debit ordr confirmation. As soon as she confirmed that they had received that she would activate my account and I could start using it.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was already active and in use.

:lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Instead of getting a Mweb Uncapped I might go with Web Africa on a 512k line, still have not made up my mind though...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

*shameless bump*
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Well i'm with mweb for now. i am on 384 i will wait and see how the market plays out once telkom ups the line speeds.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU