Console session with MMC

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Fish_man

Console session with MMC

Post by Fish_man »

Hi all i need some help

I am using MMC 3.0(Microsoft Management Console) with teh Remote desktops plug in to connect to about 50+ Win 2003 servers
Now im waiting for a new pc so i had to revert to my old laptop with Win XP Pro SP3 on it.

After installing XP SP3 I can no longer connect to the Console session when using the Remote Desktop in mmc.
I know that with SP3 the "/console" switch has been retired and replaced with "/admin". But how do i use MMC (remote desktops) with a console session now. I need to log into session 0 on the servers.

In summary, /console has been deprecated and replaced by /admin when calling the mstsc client.
I know i can "mstsc -v:IP /admin" but i don't want to user RDP. I want to use MMC.

HELP !!!

PS

I don't want to Remove SP3 and i don't want to upgrade to Vista or Win7 on this Workstation
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Console session with MMC

Post by ryanrich »

Change your GPO settings...

gpedit.msc

Then go to, User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Components -> Terminal Server -> Connnections -> Allow reconnection from original client only = Disabled

See if that works for you...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Another thing you could do, if that doesn't work, is replace the new terminal services files with pre-SP3 files.

The files are mstsc.exe, mstscax.dll, mstsmhst.dll and mstsmmc.dll. You'll find them in the C:\Windows\System32 folder of a pre-SP3 machine. You can also probably find them in the $NTUninstall folder for SP3 on your current machine.

Just remember to rename the current files to .old and not delete them!
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

That option was not configured , i set it to disable and still cant get into a console session ......

I have checked the vista pc next to me (that works) and its also running MMC V3 but the Remote desktops snap in is Version 6

On my XP box MMC = V3 and Remote desktops snap in is Version 5.2.3790.3959

I cant find Version 6 for XP nor can i use the vista update for XP !!!! thinking Microsoft just forgot about this and never fixed it for XP SP3 ??????
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Dammmm , not have a pre SP3 machine all machines are updated with SP3 via WSUS GRRRRRRRRRR
possible you can email or upload the files somewhere !?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Did you check for the files in the C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ folder?

I'll have a look if I can find them somewhere as well.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Nope don't have that folder this was a clean install with SP3 inclusive with the install. One of those DELL CD's
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Fish_man wrote:Nope don't have that folder this was a clean install with SP3 inclusive with the install. One of those DELL CD's
Eish! I hate those...

I have the Server 2003 RDP Client 5.2 Install. I wonder if it's the same... Can mail to you to try if you like.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Ryanrich YGPM