Thinking of buying the following Gaming Laptop

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Acidkidsa

Thinking of buying the following Gaming Laptop

Post by Acidkidsa »

Howzit everyone,

I havent been on PC Format in months if not years.

In the past I have not bothered upgrading my PC .

I will was looking around and I stumbled accross this and I cant stop thinking about it..

The Toy:
http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_sp ... ptop=32726

W870CU Mecer W870CU Gaming NOTEBOOK - Barebone unit laptop:
[LAPTOP] W870CU Mecer Xpression W870CU Calpella Core i-Series Gaming Notebook (Intel PM55), Supports Intel Core I-series i5/i7 Processors, 2 x slots DDR3-1333 204pin SO-Dimm memory upgradable to 8GB, Blu-Ray Rom / DVD Writer Combo optical Drive, 17.3 FULL HD (1920x1080 resolution) LCD Didplay, Embedded nVidia GeForce GTS360M (N11E-GS1) With 1GB DDR5 dedicated graphics, Embedded 56K Voice Fax Modem, Embedded Gigabit Ethernet, Built-in 7-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/MiniSD/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo), Embedded 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN, Built-in Buetooth, Intel High Definition 3D Audio, Built-in Speakers, Sub-Woofer and Microphone, Built-in 2.0M Pixel Camera, Built-in Fingerprint Reader, Support Intel Anti-Theft Technology, 1 x Mini PCIe Slot for optional Internal 3G Module, 4 x USB2.0, 1 x e-SATA, 1 x 1394a, 1 x HDMI, Multi Gesture Touch Pad, Express Card Slot (34/54mm), 2 Year Warranty, Li-Polymer Battery (3800 mAh, 15 hours operating) & Charger, Supports Microsoft Windows 7 32/64 Bit versions, Does not support Windows XP, Dimension: 412 x 279 x 39/48mm Weight: 4kg

[THESE OPTIONS WERE SELECTED AND FORM PART OF THE SETUP]
No 1.44MB Drive, WIN7-DPR064 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition - 64Bit License (+R1354), CI7-720QM Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core 1.6GHz 6MB Cache 1333Mhz FSB (+R1403), ST9500420AS Seagate 500GB SATA 2.5" 7200rpm hard drive (+R948), Blue Ray Optical Drive, DDR1333-NB4G 4GB 204PIN DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM Module (+R1785), DDR1333-NB4G 4GB 204PIN DDR3-1333 SO-DIMM Module (+R1785), Bluetooth is built in, No anti-virus software, No office software, DOA insurance (+R92), No carry bag included, 2 year carry-in ( 0 % excludes carry bag) [S-2]

Total : R16 035.00

http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/laptop_sp ... ptop=32726

Please comment

thanks
Acidkidsa

Re: Thinking of buying the following Gaming Laptop

Post by Acidkidsa »

Anyone :(
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Well my only 2c is that while the specs are great, the gaming notebooks are generally cumbersome and have extremely poor battery life, rendering the notion of portability all but null. This fact then just makes me think that for that price, you could build a very decent desktop system which will be much better specced and about as portable as the gaming laptop. Furthermore, these gaming laptops become obsolete rather quickly due to the inability to upgrade your primary components like chip and gfx card.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Jonboy wrote:Well my only 2c is that while the specs are great, the gaming notebooks are generally cumbersome and have extremely poor battery life, rendering the notion of portability all but null. This fact then just makes me think that for that price, you could build a very decent desktop system which will be much better specced and about as portable as the gaming laptop. Furthermore, these gaming laptops become obsolete rather quickly due to the inability to upgrade your primary components like chip and gfx card.
Thanks for the reply. +10000000 points to you dude

Yeah I am aware the batter life is poor.

I wouldn't be playing it much without the power in tbo.

Simply convenient to take it away with me or sit on the sofa and play.

The thing that got me is the HD screen , and Blue ray ...

With the desktop I will be limited to the desk it resting on.. A bit bulking to move around the whole time. ( I haven't been able to find a really desent desktop PC that offers the same as the above)
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

The purists will agree (somewhat) that gaming laptops, or properly specced ones at least, one should rather import - the likes of Alienware, and the recent buyout of namely Dell of the franchise makes the two brands good candidates.
Upgrade necessity, is proportional to the games advancement is it not ? I bought a gaming laptop 2 years ago - and it is still valid today -as I am playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 at very decent, if not high framerates.

If you are privileged to afford this kind of machine now (which in most cases means you are well off ?) you might be able to upgrade in two years time easily.
My 2 cents on the matter says, check what you can import ...rather
Temporary Absence
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Anthro wrote:The purists will agree (somewhat) that gaming laptops, or properly specced ones at least, one should rather import - the likes of Alienware, and the recent buyout of namely Dell of the franchise makes the two brands good candidates.
Upgrade necessity, is proportional to the games advancement is it not ? I bought a gaming laptop 2 years ago - and it is still valid today -as I am playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 at very decent, if not high framerates.

If you are privileged to afford this kind of machine now (which in most cases means you are well off ?) you might be able to upgrade in two years time easily.
My 2 cents on the matter says, check what you can import ...rather
I wont say I am pretty well of.. I am comfortable .

I am just real good with my money and save like hell..

I have been looking at other similar gaming Laptops.
But how much would customs add to the value of the laptop.

What happened to my brother put me off. He received a WII from the UK.

The refused to release it until +-R1000.00 was paid.

I dont want to import a Laptop only to have high custom charges added to it .
(could of bought it here for the same price then??_

If I buy here , I still have the warranty to fall back. If I import it what warranty do I have?

I have experienced problem recently with goods coming in from oversees.
I know of a few people who could even receive presents from their
children due to some ridiculous fee been added to the parcel from SA side.

thanks for your reply
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Here is the story of a gaming/large laptop: Buy huge laptop, use for 7 days taking it around to peoples houses and playing games or working, get sick of losing the feeling in your shoulder and leave it on your desk where it stays until you get a new one.

I was desperate to get a small decent gaming laptop (13¨ max) but they cost 1100 pounds here and thats waaaaaaay too much. I settled on a Dell Studio 15 with a core i5 520M, ATi HD 5470, 4gigs DDR3@1333, 500gig HDD, Wireless N, 15¨, purple.
688 pounds or R8000.

Half the price of your quote. I will be taking it to France, all over England and back to the good old ZA. It´s heavy but it´s medium in size and I got a proper backpack for it.

If you got a smaller laptop for R8000 and maybe a med spec desktop for the rest of the R16 000 you would be a happy chappy I bet.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Great specs for the price! Try and check one out, and if build quality is good and it comes with a decent warranty then I'd go for it if that's what you're in the market for...
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Frozenfireside wrote:Here is the story of a gaming/large laptop: Buy huge laptop, use for 7 days taking it around to peoples houses and playing games or working, get sick of losing the feeling in your shoulder and leave it on your desk where it stays until you get a new one.

I was desperate to get a small decent gaming laptop (13¨ max) but they cost 1100 pounds here and thats waaaaaaay too much. I settled on a Dell Studio 15 with a core i5 520M, ATi HD 5470, 4gigs DDR3@1333, 500gig HDD, Wireless N, 15¨, purple.
688 pounds or R8000.

Half the price of your quote. I will be taking it to France, all over England and back to the good old ZA. It´s heavy but it´s medium in size and I got a proper backpack for it.

If you got a smaller laptop for R8000 and maybe a med spec desktop for the rest of the R16 000 you would be a happy chappy I bet.

Hmmm I dunno hey.

My current Desktop is P4 3mhz, with a 7800 gt AGP 1.5 gb ram .
Its good enough to play music and surf , and platy..say.......Fallout 3.

I think I should just wait a bit and see what happens with the I-Core prices.

But for what you get in the Laptop its hard to beat. From the HD , to the blue ray , built in web cam.
to an extra 1 x Mini PCIe Slot.

How much would it cost to get the same specs, on a Desktop??

It is a lot money for me to spend .

As ryanrich said, I need to check one out first before I buy it.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

ryanrich wrote:Great specs for the price! Try and check one out, and if build quality is good and it comes with a decent warranty then I'd go for it if that's what you're in the market for...

Well I bought it..

I can run Crysis at the highest settings at 1280 x 720.

Benchmarks dont seem to run on Win 7 64 bit..

Dunno if I like Win 7 tbo...

Sometime the system runs fast other times slow.. A simple restart normally solves the problem
mozzzie

Post by mozzzie »

How has the laptop been over the past few weeks of usage? I'm considering getting one... any major gripes/issues?
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

mozzzie wrote:How has the laptop been over the past few weeks of usage? I'm considering getting one... any major gripes/issues?

The Laptop is the business..

Seriously chuffed with it..

Far Cry 2 runs 100% with the graphics set to max. Highest rez everything..

Crysis runs of everything set on max.. One or two options need to be set down to "gamer"

Worth every cent.. Only thing is the Casing smudges easy from finger marks..So you have to keep it clean..
mozzzie

Post by mozzzie »

Fantastic... I think I'll definitely be getting one of these babies now!