Win XP Repair Failure

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Win XP Repair Failure

Post by Stuart »

So you know this godlike Windows XP that everyone knows just doesn't break no matter what you throw at it? I broke it. :(

My brother brought me his office computer. He runs a security company and has all his invoices, quotes, etc. on the drive. He runs "some or other accounts/accounting software" (probably Pastel or something ... never saw the machine in working order) and he doesn't make backups.

So he brought the machine to me on Friday telling me it was broken. He had some virus warnings ("what do you mean, do I keep my antivirus up to date?") and then one morning he couldn't boot into Windows. It would take you to that "Windows failed to load" screen where it gives options for Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Normal Windows, etc. Didn't matter which option you chose, it hung on booting.

I thought a repair installation would help, so I booted from the Win XP CD and tried the repair, but after it rebooted it just went to a black screen and nothing happens. It posts okay, but then the cursor blinks at the top, stops blinking, and then nothing.

I've tried fixmbr and fixboot from the recovery console (in sheer desperation) but it still hasn't sorted it. I plugged the drive as a slave in my computer and ran a virus check, a check disk and even a defrag ... still no joy.

What am I missing?

(I even thought of upgrading him to Windows 7, but you have to boot into Windows and do the upgrade from there and, well, yes ...)
Koko_Lion

Re: Win XP Repair Failure

Post by Koko_Lion »

Maybe set bios defaults, do a ram check and test the hard drive using the manufactures software?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Koko_Lion wrote:test the hard drive using the manufactures software?
Can I do that without risk to the data on the drive?
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Stuart wrote:
Koko_Lion wrote:test the hard drive using the manufactures software?
Can I do that without risk to the data on the drive?
If its a Fujitsu drive, i never said anything! :whistling:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Seagate. 160GB. 7200.9 before Prime has a hissy fit.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Yup, i run the tests using seagate's tools often. Havant lost a file yet. Obviously if possible I'd do backup first.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You can download Seatools. There are options that won't affect the data.

As an aside, I just had to re-install Windows 7 x64 on a new drive since my Seagate 160GB 7200.9 has failed. :shock:

Another option would be to just save his data on your pc and try a fresh XP install, assuming it passes the Seatools test (though this is kinda obvious).
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:Another option would be to just save his data on your pc and try a fresh XP install, assuming it passes the Seatools test (though this is kinda obvious).
I could ... assuming he can tell me exactly which files he needs backed up, and assuming he still has easy access to all the software discs he needs to run his business. He's not normally too good at keeping stuff like that ...
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

I think you said "Pastel"? That's a mission on its own!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Eish. Its kind of a bitter sweet thing to see people fail who don't do backups or use an updated antivirus. As jy dom is moet jy kakkerlak (sonder die 'kerlak').
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Koko_Lion wrote:I think you said "Pastel"? That's a mission on its own!
I could be wrong. I know he uses some type of accounting software, but I've never seen the PC in working order, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Edit: Actually, looking through the folders on his hard drive it seems like it may be a Riebens Systems package that he uses.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

This type of thing is why I am going to use Pastel my Business online.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Unfortunately Telkom can't give him an ADSL line right now (no available ports on the exchange or something to that effect) and I can't in good conscience recommend Neotel to him for his business, so an online solution would be a little awkward at the present moment. That said, it might be something for him to seriously consider in the future.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

KALSTER wrote:This type of thing is why I am going to use Pastel my Business online.
I heard about that, was highly recommended. I just got this personal phobia of having my accounts kept who knows where! :(
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Not sure what the bandwidth requirements would be, but I'd guess it shouldn't be too high. In that case even a 3G modem switched to GPRS or edge might be good enough. The cool thing is you can even give your accountant a user account for an added bit of convenience.

Anyway, hope you sort out his PC. I had a similar thing with a friend's laptop the other day, but fortunately the 'Last known good configuration' option was good enough to fix it.
prophet

Post by prophet »

How mutch memory(ram) does the pc have
My old e-mail no longer exists and I cant change my email adress to a free e-mail account
Pieter_carel_wentzel@hotmail.com
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

Koko_Lion wrote:
KALSTER wrote:This type of thing is why I am going to use Pastel my Business online.
I heard about that, was highly recommended. I just got this personal phobia of having my accounts kept who knows where! :(
Take a look at Turbocash (http://www.turbocash.net) - an Opensource accounting package that started its life in SA, by an ex-Pastel employee.)

Before being tarred as a spammer - I AM one of 4 SA programmers, out of about 10, working on this package and it is really good!
Free, Easy, Logical, each set of books in its own directory, ie easy to backup etc
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Thanx Ama :notworthy:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

prophet wrote:How mutch memory(ram) does the pc have
The same amount of RAM it had three months ago when the problem existed. Happily, I managed to fix it, so he has not been sitting for three months without a PC. Thanks for the concern though.