Streaming my Home system

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DeeVeeDee

Streaming my Home system

Post by DeeVeeDee »

2.8 Ghz Intel P4 with HT
1GB Ram and 40GB Drive space.
32 MB Gforce 2
And it has Windows XP on it with a WinFast TV tuner in it connected to a 32" monitor with both
VGA and Full HDMI inputs.

XP is configured to stop explorer.exe on logon and start the TV program on startup.
and the power button is set to shut down when i press it,
It takes about 1 min to boot up. I have also mounted the IR sensor for the Winfast Cool Remote internally.

The PC is connected to the VGA and My PS3 to the HDMI
and im using a Pioneer Hifi system as the sound.

At first the TV was just a temporary solution when i moved in, but after i put everything in a fancy looking
flat desktop case it kind of fits in nicely with the rest of the stuff and it doesn't look like i have a computer as a tv.
Its been running like this for about a year now and not once have i had problems with it. It also strictly only serves as a TV
and no other programs are running on it.

But now i would like to stream the TV image to my Bedroom onto my laptop. And i'm not very keen on changing my system too much.
Ive tried other Systems Like MS Media Center, Media Portal and a few other Linux TV interfaces and they all don't work well.

Do you know if RDP will work ? I somehow doubt it ?
And I think VNC will be slow.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Streaming my Home system

Post by hamin_aus »

Why can't you just enable dual display and run VGA or RCA cable to your room? You might need to actually let explorer start for that - I'm not sure, but it would be easy.

All in all your setup is most peculiar and more work that it is worth considering you did not mention DSTV and so are sacrificing a perfectly good PC to watch Isidingo...

:P
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

The GF2 card does not have DUAL and i dont think you can Dual between an on board Intel VGA and GFX card.
It does have a TV out connector but since the PC is gathered from junk spares, i dont have the cable that goes into the card.

Besides I live in a flat so there is no ceiling and i dont want to run messy cables all over the show.

Hehe and yes i dont have DSTV, DSTV is for ritch people, I dont even have money for a Propper TV as you can see. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I only watch 7 de laan and the 8:00PM movies on E Sundays.

Now that i think about it you are right, too much work ,maybe i should just put the TV loud and put a mirror in my room. :lol:
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

:lol:

There is an app called MaxiVista that will do what you want, but it's not free :cry:

Otherwise try VNC - I like ultraVNC, and it does have some custom settings for screen quality/resolution which may make the picture you get over the network viewable...