Surveillance software

Any software related topics go in here.
senile

Surveillance software

Post by senile »

Please can anyone recommend some free/open source surveillance software for Windows, preferably not web based software
jamin_za wrote:Right you are, sorry about that.
doo_much

Re: Surveillance software

Post by doo_much »

Precisely what do you want to do - record off a webcam or a DIY home CCTV System?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
senile

Post by senile »

For a home CCTV system. I have already set up the cameras etc I just need a good software package that is not too expensive.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Right - what capture card are you using?
And why don't you want to use the software that (usually) came with it?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
senile

Post by senile »

The capture card is a Changhung crx-2000, I am going to install an additional card but the software that comes with it supports only 16 channels. So I need software that's more flexible
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

More than 16 cameras for a home system? :shock:

Interesting...

Afraid I'm flummoxed - we normally use the capture card software and that's it. Played around with some free software a while ago but getting the software to recognise the card was a pain so I dropped it.
USB/IP cameras are easy on the other hand.

Also, you say you're going to install an additional card? Mixing and matching is usually an issue due to different drivers.

I'd strongly suggest you look out for decent capture cards (Normally you'd have only 16 channels per card) that support the software functionality you're looking for.
Personally I'm a fan of Geovision's stuff - but that's just me. And it gets real expensive real fast - the moment you need more than 4 channels the home enthusiast is priced out of the market.

'Cheap' alternative might be someone like Cameratron. 32 Channels will still set you back in the region of R5k but at least you know the two cards will work in tandem.
If you decide to go this avenue give me a holler. I'll be interested to see how well it works and I'll probably be able to organise you a 10% discount with them. :wink:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

I find ZoneMinder Amazing! And in my own opinion its the best out there and its OpenSource

Its main feature is Motion Detection where it will only record if there is moving pixels.
It automatically archives motion recoding, You can also set zones where to detect so a moving tree in the wind wont
cause false detection.

You can download the BlueCherry Live CD from http://sourceforge.net/projects/zoneminder-cd/
But i prefer setting up Ubuntu Myself then install Zoneminder from the Repositories.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡