ADSL Uncapped at R219 from OpenWeb

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

ADSL Uncapped at R219 from OpenWeb

Post by Stuart »

MyBB wrote:OpenWeb today announced that it has partnered with MWEB and will be offering uncapped ADSL services starting from R219 per month.

"We have formed a partnership with MWEB that will allow us to introduce world class ADSL packages to the market at never seen before prices! The internet revolution in South Africa has now officially begun!" says Keoma Wright, Founder of OpenWeb.co.za

Prices are as follows for the uncapped ADSL consumer offerings:

1. Uncapped ADSL 384kbps: R219
2. Uncapped ADSL 512kbps: R299
3. Uncapped ADSL 4096kbps: R539

Business Based ADSL:

1. Uncapped ADSL 384kbps: R499
2. Uncapped ADSL 512kbps: R699
3. Uncapped ADSL 4096kbps: R1 999

All uncapped business ADSL services will allow businesses to host their own servers and comes with 5 Static IP addresses and a Cisco router.

OpenWeb will officially be launching their brand new range of ADSL packages on Tuesday, 23 March 2010.
Fish_man

Re: ADSL Uncapped at R219 from OpenWeb

Post by Fish_man »

whats the diff between Business Uncapped and Normal uncapped ?? better support ?? Whats the deal here ??
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Business is unshaped 24/7. Regular is shaped during the day time, unshaped after hours.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

aaaah thanks RAT !!!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Stuart wrote:
MyBB wrote:All uncapped business ADSL services will allow businesses to host their own servers and comes with 5 Static IP addresses and a Cisco router.
Amazing! :D

Man, I can't WAIT for what Afrihost are going to offer us...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

[Stick.Mud]

I wouldn't get myself too excited about that. Afrihost is unlikely to be able to offer cheaper rates than Vox or MWeb-based offerings, and if they do, they're taking quite a risk.
Uncapped services require large user bases where the majority subsidise the minority of heavy downloaders, or so I have heard. Does Afrihost have the resources to provide
such a service?

/Fetches popcorn and watches the scuffle between sundry ISPs as he waits for the dust to settle. Uncapped Frenzy:FIGHT!
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

True, but Afrihost has pretty much been defining risk taking in ISP terms in recent months, and it seems to have paid off so far. It almost has to be done. I think they will lose a fair percentage of their client base if they don't do something drastic.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Stuart wrote:I think they will lose a fair percentage of their client base if they don't do something drastic.
Really?

I don't know. I'm with them now, and even if their offer is R250 a month for 384 uncapped, I'm happy to pay that, despite it being 30 bucks cheaper with another ISP. Call me lazy, but I'd rather pay the 30 bucks than go through the trouble of moving to another ISP.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

@DAE: Probably the reason I am so reluctant to change from Telkom Do Broadband untill the dust settles. :P

@StuRat: Time will tell.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Stuart wrote:I think they will lose a fair percentage of their client base if they don't do something drastic.
Really?

I don't know. I'm with them now, and even if their offer is R250 a month for 384 uncapped, I'm happy to pay that, despite it being 30 bucks cheaper with another ISP. Call me lazy, but I'd rather pay the 30 bucks than go through the trouble of moving to another ISP.
Yes, but Afrihost doesn't have an uncapped option right now. If they do nothing to offer an uncapped option, will you still stay with them? Perhaps many like you would, but a lot of the MyBB guys will quickly drop Afrihost for uncapped. Those guys are massive downloaders, and 20GB just doesn't cut it for them.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Stuart wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Really?

Yes, but Afrihost doesn't have an uncapped option right now. If they do nothing to offer an uncapped option, will you still stay with them? Perhaps many like you would, but a lot of the MyBB guys will quickly drop Afrihost for uncapped. Those guys are massive downloaders, and 20GB just doesn't cut it for them.
Aah no no no, I think there's a misunderstanding taking place. When you said "If they don't do something drastic", I was thinking "something like offer uncapped for 200 bucks", not "offer uncapped" :P

Obviously, if they don't offer uncapped I'll drop them in a heartbeat, but they've already said that they will :)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

They should do an offer like "75GB for +-R100 a month"

Sure, I would love uncapped, but I doubt I would get through more than 80-100GB a month (and I would not be able to do that every month)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

what is the diff between uncapped and capped....?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Mclaren wrote:what is the diff between uncapped and capped....?
You're kidding, right? Please say you're kidding
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Mclaren wrote:what is the diff between uncapped and capped....?
A "cap" is a limit. If you're on a "capped" account, you have a limit, say 3GB, 5GB, etc. On an uncapped account, you have no cap, i.e. no limit, so you can download as much as you like :)

(theoretically)
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

yes i was kidding, actually i meant shapped and unshapped.

Babalas morning....
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Shaped means that certain protocols are given less priority than others. So during shaping times, for example, gaming and peer-to-peer downloading would receive second priority to, say, email and browsing. So if there are a lot of people on the network at the same time, those browsing and checking email would get full speed while gamers and downloaders might get slower speeds. 1ith unshaped all protocols receive equal priority all day long.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Wow, finally! Unfortunately I have NO faith in OpenWeb, but MWeb might get my business, depending on what Afrihost offers!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
1gn1t0r

Post by 1gn1t0r »

Too bad I live in a area where there are no ADSL lines available. Isn't there some similiar service like this which is wireless ?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

1gn1t0r wrote:Too bad I live in a area where there are no ADSL lines available. Isn't there some similiar service like this which is wireless ?
Nope.. Wireless providers are even worse regarding download sizes than Telescum.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
1gn1t0r

Post by 1gn1t0r »

MWEB has also just begun with their affordable uncapped adsl, though this seems to be cheaper
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

I have a wireless connection 10Gig that costs me R295 per month (at 512 speed!)
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Thanx Ama :notworthy:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

1gn1t0r wrote:MWEB has also just begun with their affordable uncapped adsl, though this seems to be cheaper
Erm, no. MWeb STARTED the Uncapped revolution. And to add, both are R219 a month. I used Openweb last month and it was throttled to death, even after hours. Switched to MWeb this month and it's been awesome.