Vox Uncapped ADSL: Best Prices Yet!

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Vox Uncapped ADSL: Best Prices Yet!

Post by Stuart »

MyBB wrote: The cost of broadband services in South Africa is finally being driven down by competition, despite Telkom still holding a monopoly over the internet market.

Today, Vox Telecom has joined MWeb by announcing the introduction of uncapped ADSL services for our consumers.

“We are revamping all our broadband solutions to cater for the widest spectrum of users, ranging from people who are extremely price-sensitive to those looking for the very highest quality experience.

Our consumer-oriented @lantic internet service provider is ready to launch its new broadband offering, while Vox Datapro and Vox Telepreneur are busy revamping their ranges.

Vox Telecom/@lantic will be launching bundled ADSL offerings which include both ADSL access and an uncapped ISP account. Vox’s pricing is even more aggressive that MWEB’s pricing:

1. Uncapped All-inclusive 384kbps: R339
2. Uncapped All-inclusive 512kbps: R589
3. Uncapped All-inclusive 4096kbps: R889

This move will give our customers unlimited access to the internet for a fixed monthly fee, with no sudden and frustrating cut-off when they reach the caps that were previously in place.

With Vox Datapro the accent will be on quality and flexibility for corporate customers. The package being created by Vox Telepreneur will create a simplified, uncapped offering designed for small businesses and consumers, and sold through our network of more than 4,000 dealers.

MWeb must be applauded for making some heavy investments in infrastructure, which have allowed it to offer uncapped bandwidth to the market. Yet the degree to which Vox, MWeb and every other player in the market can cut their tariffs is frustratingly highly constrained by Telkom.

Telkom still owns the local loop – that last mile of copper wire that reaches into residential and business premises. Despite years of promises from the industry regulator, Icasa, the local loop has still not been freed up for all service providers to use.

That means ISPs still pay heavily for the right to use a facility that was funded by taxpayers in the first place. Since access to the local loop can account for up to 90% of the fees ISPs charge their customers, further significant price cuts can only be unleashed when the regulator finally delivers on its promise to unbundle the local loop.

Uncapped internet access is the way the market has to go. It’s what consumers want and expect and it’s what they do overseas. But it’s ridiculous that ISPs are providing these price reductions while Telkom, which has all the infrastructure and is clearly in the best position to drive down prices, is happy to let the private sector lead the way. Imagine the cost cuts that would ensue if South Africa really enjoyed full competition in the market.

The message to our telecommunications regulator is clear: nothing is more effective than letting the free market determine pricing. It is imperative that Icasa’s plans to liberate the industry are accelerated, since local loop unbundling and number portability will let us unlock further price cuts.”
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Vox Uncapped ADSL: Best Prices Yet!

Post by Stuart »

Though I don't see a data-only option yet.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I'd rather pay R10 extra and get MWeb.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Rumour has it that OpenWeb's competing announcement is coming Tuesday morning.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Man, this is exciting :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@lantic
not even if they were offering free cheese!.. i feel the need to wash my monitor lest the evil has tainted it....

/runlevel 0! /runlevel 0!
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:
@lantic
not even if they were offering free cheese!.. i feel the need to wash my monitor lest the evil has tainted it....

/runlevel 0! /runlevel 0!
True, I'm not excited about Vox, but I just posted an OpenWeb offering too. :)
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Man, this is exciting :D
The one thing to bear in mind is that the Mweb rep at MyBB said that if our lines get bumped up to 8mbps (or faster) as Telkom has suggested, Mweb will still lock us to 4mbps. At least with Afrihost you pay the same regardless of what line speed you have. :?
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Wow. i leave the forums for a few hours to study and write my exams and all hell brakes loose on the ADSL market. but i am still waiting a bit longer. :D
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Stuart wrote:Rumour has it that OpenWeb's competing announcement is coming Tuesday morning.
:?
I was under the impression that they would be reselling MWeb uncapped accounts.
Do they have additional announcements to make?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarPhoenix wrote:
Stuart wrote:Rumour has it that OpenWeb's competing announcement is coming Tuesday morning.
:?
I was under the impression that they would be reselling MWeb uncapped accounts.
Do they have additional announcements to make?
No. The official reselling announcement was made after I posted the rumour this afternoon.