Local Steam content server coming to WebAfrica!

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: Local Steam content server coming to WebAfrica!

Post by StarPhoenix »

I resurrected my STEAM account this evening, did the necessary updates, fetched SteamWatch and edited SteamWatchSettings.xml
and started downloading the Torchlight demo.

My download is 67% complete and has varied between 37.3 and 42.5KB/s, which is normal on my line.

For those who are interested:
1. Make sure you have a WebAfrica broadband account, not their 30GB IS local account as this will not be able to access the Freezone.
2. Download, install and update Steam.
3. Open Steam, go into File/Settings/Downloads and set your region to Africa. Select OK, close Steam.
4. Download and install a program called SteamWatch 3.
5. Right click on SteamWatch in your Windows toolbar. Select “Settings”, and make sure the “Block Connections” box is selected. Select “OK”, SteamWatch will minimize.
6. Again, right click SteamWatch. Choose “Edit SteamWatch Settings.xml”. A text document will open. Scroll down to the bottom where you will see a list of lines that read something similar to “< address >(IP address, i.e. 41.163.54.32) < / address> ”. Delete all of these lines except for one.
On the remaining line, replace the IP address in between the < address> tags with the following:
“41.185.60.43”
Once this is done, the edited section will look something like this:

< !- - List of IP addresses to allow - - >

< whitelist>

< address> 41.185.60.43 < /address>

< steamwatch>

Save and close the file.

7. Again, right click on the SteamWatch tab in your toolbar. Choose “Stop Steam Watch”.
8. Open Steam. Browse the store of available downloads, and select a few you like.
9. Check the download in the “MyGames” tab. Once Steam connects to an international server, and the download is in progress, right click on SteamWatch again and select “Start SteamWatch”. SteamWatch will now make sure that Steam only accesses content from the IP we entered in step 6. This is Webafrica’s Freezone Steam server.
10. If your downloads do not commence you can try the following:
Close Steam and stop SteamWatch. Go into your Steam folder (default is C:/Program Files/Steam). Delete a file called ClientRegistry.blob. Revert to beginning of step

"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Oh, so the server is active now?! Awesome! :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

The server is up but the system is not flawless so there are a few issues.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

So I would like to say that I get those speeds with my SAOL Uncapped :? so I dont think I will be needing this. Its great for everyone else who is not with SAOL Uncapped though :).

BTW Star whilst those speeds are fantastic its painful when you have a 2GB patch that needs downloading for a newly released game... :(
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Anakha56 wrote:So I would like to say that I get those speeds with my SAOL Uncapped :? so I dont think I will be needing this. Its great for everyone else who is not with SAOL Uncapped though :).

BTW Star whilst those speeds are fantastic its painful when you have a 2GB patch that needs downloading for a newly released game... :(
:smack:
Nobody likes a show-off, Anakin. ;-)

Nevertheless, I can't say that I enjoy downloading large files on my line, but that is something I aim to rectify
once I am [relatively] rich.

@DAE:Let's just say that it is in the public testing phase. ;-)
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

[quote="StarPhoenix"@DAE:Let's just say that it is in the public testing phase. ;-)[/quote]

And it failed me :( Tried it last night - no luck :(
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

So, out of curiosity, I downgraded my line form 4mb to 384k if I buy a WebAfrica 1GB account what speed would the line connect at? It should be 384k right?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:So, out of curiosity, I downgraded my line form 4mb to 384k if I buy a WebAfrica 1GB account what speed would the line connect at? It should be 384k right?
That's correct :) If you're only paying for a 384K line, you should (theoretically) never get speeds faster than 384Kbps.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Terrible wording on my side :(.

I thought that was the case just remembered seeing something about if you get your line upgraded to a 4mb but have a ISP who is 384k you could get a cheaper account from another ISP that would use your 4mb line. No idea where I saw it but it stuck for some reason, might be remembering something else though...
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Anakha56 wrote:So I would like to say that I get those speeds with my SAOL Uncapped :? so I dont think I will be needing this. Its great for everyone else who is not with SAOL Uncapped though :).
+1 :mrgreen: