Best Video Capture/Editing sware

Any software related topics go in here.
Sojourn

Best Video Capture/Editing sware

Post by Sojourn »

I am looking for software to firstly capture video (from an antique camcorder with only svideo output + stereo sound, two separate cables) - then I need to edit it.

Whats the best software out there for personal use?
Bonus points for user-friendliness - don't have time to study a manual.
Mclaren

Re: Best Video Capture/Editing sware

Post by Mclaren »

I am using Image Edit Pro 14 (i think)

Most software will take a short while to get acustomed to. and most work similar to each other.

Incredible connection has it with a dazzle capture card for R999.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

OK. Finding software that allows you to capture DV over firewire in Win7 is whack. Seems it just does not exist. So I will have to install XP on that spare HDD to get me going... FFS :-(
naughty

Post by naughty »

Sojourn wrote:I am looking for software to firstly capture video (from an antique camcorder with only svideo output + stereo sound, two separate cables) - then I need to edit it.

Whats the best software out there for personal use?
Bonus points for user-friendliness - don't have time to study a manual.
if you do install XP then consider this - it only costs R299 so its cheap but very effective

you can plug in s-video or composite as well as stereo audio (two rca cables) into a USB port and it comes with the capture software which i know for a fact works with XP but i dont have windows 7 so i cant test it for you

the software is easy to use if you know how to use a timeline based program - in fact very easy to use since its Ulead videostudio which is normally given free with lots of VIVO graphics cards

here is a screenshot of the user interface of the software

however if you have the full version of Nero then Nero vision is the relevant software that has the capture aspects built in - as long as the PC has the relevant hardware ports ie if you have a video in of some form .... maybe in a graphics card (audio in is a given on every PC and you just have to find the right cable to make it work)

i am using Nero 7 (full version) and im pretty confident that if you have Win 7 and the latest version of Nero (probably 10 by now) .... the full version mind ..... it should have some form of Nero vision in there
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Massive apologies Naughty - ... should have updated this thread.
The camcorder just so happens to have a DV connector (firewire), meaning the S-vid /sterio audio connectors will not be needed.
The issue now is finding software that allows you to capture over firewire in Win7 (which at this point is not happening...) sooo...Once I have XP loaded everything should be fine.
naughty

Post by naughty »

well firewire capture is easy - just use the latest version of pinnacle - but its expensive though - last time a buddy of mine bought it for his video business it cost him around R1,5k (but thats peanuts for him since he also bought a professional HD video camera that cost around R40k)

problem is that he also uses XP so not 100% certain that it will work in Win 7, though im pretty certain they should have updated that latest version .... you just have to check on O/S compatibility on their website

BTW - you are way better off making that firewire capture work than using any other video in method, cos since its faster data transfer rates you wont drop any frames in the capture
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

totally agree abt firewire capturing and the frame loss.
I have software for XP that is not working in Win7 - thus saving me from spending money for Win7 software - just so happens to be Pinnacle 10.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Sojourn wrote:totally agree abt firewire capturing and the frame loss.
I have software for XP that is not working in Win7 - thus saving me from spending money for Win7 software - just so happens to be Pinnacle 10.
cool - so definitely once you reload XP then you are sorted
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

all sorted -
but have to look into getting Win7 compat software - swapping disks every time to get into XP for this is a bummer.