StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

32-bit drivers on 64-bit OS?

Post by StarBound »

I am curious. Can I download and install 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS? In this case my Xonar is giving one super annoying issues and that is sound from the front speakers are missing. It happens on some start-ups and only restarts can fix this. I am wondering if I can use 32-bit vista/win 7 drivers on a 64-bit win7 OS?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 32-bit drivers on 64-bit OS?

Post by Tel »

Not as far as I'm aware StarBound.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions wrote: If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?

Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.
I could have done this earlier but I was hoping someone would say yes :cry:
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions wrote: If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?

Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows don't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows.
Really? In that case, yes, you can. If it gives you an error, just reboot and try to install again. Continue process until installation is successful.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

No, can't be done.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:
StarBound wrote:

Really? In that case, yes, you can. If it gives you an error, just reboot and try to install again. Continue process until installation is successful.
lol :lol:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Rat, Santa is bringing you some loaded cheese for Christmas :twisted:
My Steam Screenshots

octall

Post by octall »

I'm using 32bit drivers in Win 7 Ultimate 64, don't know, maybe I was just lucky. when i went to 64bit I used my old XP 32 drivers.
Q9550 CPU, EVGA 780i Sli, MSI 275 GTX, OCZ 2GB Reaper Heatpipe(looking for another 4GB), Coolermaster 550W PSU, 19" LCD
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

octall wrote:I'm using 32bit drivers in Win 7 Ultimate 64, don't know, maybe I was just lucky. when i went to 64bit I used my old XP 32 drivers.

Firstly, thread necro is thread necro.

Secondly, what drivers are they? For what piece of hardware are they being used for? Are you sure you have a 64-bit OS?
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
octall

Post by octall »

DarkStar wrote:
octall wrote:I'm using 32bit drivers in Win 7 Ultimate 64, don't know, maybe I was just lucky. when i went to 64bit I used my old XP 32 drivers.

Secondly, what drivers are they? For what piece of hardware are they being used for? Are you sure you have a 64-bit OS?
Huh? Necro? I are not digiboy...hehe, just kidding

I'm using sound card and GPRS 32bit drivers in Win7 Ultimate 64
Q9550 CPU, EVGA 780i Sli, MSI 275 GTX, OCZ 2GB Reaper Heatpipe(looking for another 4GB), Coolermaster 550W PSU, 19" LCD
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

@octall

Word to the wise, you are new round here, if a thread hasn't been posted in for 3 months - leave it be - posting in such an old thread is referred to as a necro and is generally frowned upon. If it's an important issue, create a new topic.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

octall wrote:
DarkStar wrote:

Huh? Necro? I are not digiboy...hehe, just kidding

I'm using sound card and GPRS 32bit drivers in Win7 Ultimate 64
Are you sure that your download didn't come packaged with 32-bit and 64-bit drivers? Some driver packages are like that.
octall

Post by octall »

Jonboy wrote:@octall

Word to the wise, you are new round here, if a thread hasn't been posted in for 3 months - leave it be - posting in such an old thread is referred to as a necro and is generally frowned upon. If it's an important issue, create a new topic.
Than all "old" posts should be deleted or locked. Gee wiz guys, that's exactly why I sticked to other forums, don't rip people apart. It's a community right?
But it's OK, as you can see I have 32 bit drivers working on a 64 system. And yes, I am very sure. Just because I am new here doesn't mean I know jack. And remember, and thats what alot of techies alwasy forget, there is 100 ways to solving a problem, your's isn't always better than mine. You might find yours easier than mine, and I might find mine easier than yours, but both is right.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

octall wrote:Subject: Gothic 3
Anthro wrote:Locked duplicate thread.
Please use the search function.
-Anthro
I have just been told in another thread to not respond to threads that are over 3 months old. This thread is in 2008, how am I suposed to respond to that and not get blasted???

I was told to open a new thread?
As I explained in the thread, read a bit - a Game vs a PC-DEAD thread are two different scenarios,
A game you can necro in my opinion, I know people who play Solitaire every day, even though it is 14odd million years old. The fact that anyone has not posted in the thread for a year does not mean it is closed, it just means people have lost interest.
Maybe it is up to you to rekindle their interest , or as I have just been kindly informed by our blue lurker Ron2K - use your better judgement
Temporary Absence
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

octall wrote:your's isn't always better than mine.
err... yes. yes it is. by a very comfortable margin. i make this claim with impunity because it will likely never be tested... (i say "likely" because i don't own a hoody...)

and running 32bit drivers in a 64bit environment is just silly... while they may work, they present an inherent stability risk.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
octall

Post by octall »

rustypup wrote:
octall wrote:your's isn't always better than mine.
err... yes. yes it is. by a very comfortable margin. i make this claim with impunity because it will likely never be tested... (i say "likely" because i don't own a hoody...)

and running 32bit drivers in a 64bit environment is just silly... while they may work, they present an inherent stability risk.
agreed true. I must get the 64bit drivers, just can't find any yet.