Graphics card and dual displays

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
IcePick88

Graphics card and dual displays

Post by IcePick88 »

Howzit guys,

Perhaps someone out there can be of help.

We have these POV FX5500 graphics cards that we use in our mill for workstations. All we need from the card it dual displays. Now, the problem:

The card has one VGA and one DVI port. All the monitors in the mill uses VGA cables so the one port works 100%. I use a small DVI to VGA adapter to allow the second monitor to connect to the pc. This is where the issue comes is.

As soon as the pc boots, the second monitor tells me that it cannot support this video mode. When I go to the Nvidia control panel and try and setup dual displays, the options I get is 1. Analog monitor and 2. TV!! :?: :?: Through the S-video connection nogal.

I then tried a DVI cable and switch to the DVI input on the monitor and it works, but I cannot use the DVI cable as the KVM extenders we use only has VGA ports....

So...how the heck does the pc recognize my monitor as a TV when it's plugged into a DVI port? The graphics card works (seeing it works off the DVI cable) and the monitor works (used to work on the same pc, but with different graphics card).

So what I am left with is the DVI to VGA adapter. Changed with another one, same prob.
Updated to the latest graphics drivers, same story.

So in a last ditch effort, I bypassed the KVM extender and plug it directly into the pc (still with the DVI to VGA adapter) and voila. The pc "picks up" the monitor and I can use dual displays. We still need to use the KVM extenders as our pc's are like 10m from the monitors so I cannot bypass the KVM extenders.

I then figured it might be the KVM extenders, but the primary monitor works 100% through it with the same connection (VGA)???

Any idea?

Shots!

Edit: One last thing, if I bypass the KVM extender and setup dual displays, and then without turning the pc off, plug the cables back into the extenders, the dual displays still works, but as soon as I restart the pc, it goed back to normal! :evil:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Sojourn

Re: Graphics card and dual displays

Post by Sojourn »

Bummer.
The only way to get this right is to try and find a video card with both VGA ports - or a KVM with DVI ports.
IcePick88

Re: Graphics card and dual displays

Post by IcePick88 »

Sojourn wrote:Bummer.
The only way to get this right is to try and find a video card with both VGA ports - or a KVM with DVI ports.
Thanks. DVI KVM is like $2000!

But I am sorted. Seems those stupid POV FX5500 cards are not compatible with the KVM extenders. Plugged in another AGP card I found buried somewhere and voila. It works. So we will be sourcing (if ever!) other AGP cards or we will be replacing the old workstations with new ones as they fail.

Cheers
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX