Connecting Wireless to Telkom

Network problem solving and tweaks
Mykhal

Connecting Wireless to Telkom

Post by Mykhal »

Hi

I am helping a friend of mine with a tricky problem! How do you connect a Win 7 Ultimate laptop wirelessly to a WinXP PC via the Telkom Mega 105WR? I do not only mean internet sharing, I want to access the PC's files from the laptop. (Actually I will create a briefcase so that when he comes home with the laptop, it is easy to sync the laptop and desktop!)

I do not need the steps, if someone can please point me to the relevant documentation it will be fine as well!

Thanx
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Thanx Ama :notworthy:
SykomantiS

Re: Connecting Wireless to Telkom

Post by SykomantiS »

Mykhal, I have the same setup at home, but unfortunately I'll only be able to answer tonight when I'm home, as I'm a bit busy right now so if someone hasn't answered you by then I'll do a (hopefully decent) posting.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Is the network already established - do they both have access to the Internet for example ?
Or do I have to go from basic networking right up to where you need to set file and printer sharing.. ?
Temporary Absence
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

Anthro wrote:Is the network already established - do they both have access to the Internet for example ?
Or do I have to go from basic networking right up to where you need to set file and printer sharing.. ?
I can get internet from both computers, but cannot see each other's drives!

My main problem(s) are setting up a network between Win 7 and winXP and also using the telkom router as a router (ie specific settings for Win7 and XP and the Telkom Mega 105WR) That is why I asked for a link to some documents etc how to do this, as the basic network setup has been done by me before (not on this particular person's setup!)
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I can help remotely if they have Net connection ?
You got Gtalk / Skype ?
Temporary Absence
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

I have skype at home (where I am now). They do not have skype, are actually quite computer illeterate!

Another thing about their setup: Can you use two ADSL modems (routers) on the same telephone line? The guy has a telkom router in his home-office (where I had been working the whole day!) His daugther has received a MWEB Billion router with her laptop. I did the setup for that also this afternoon. As soon as she connects through MWeb, the guy's Telkom internet does not work anymore! It is all connected on the same telephone line (one number) The daughter is using her internet on an extension in her room. As soon as we switch off her router (wirelessly connected to her laptop, also running Win 7) her dad can use his internet again. If she switches her router on and refresh the connection, she can use her internet again, and her dad cannot.

They are thinking of only using the MWeb connection, as they got it with the laptop, and has to pay it, whether they use it or not! (Another one of those GAME deals!) At the moment it seams that we will be connecting both laptops wirelessly to the MWeb router, connected to the workPC. If that is the way to go, the laptops do not need to see each other, but all three computers needs the internet and the PC and the work-laptop has to see each other's files etc.

Thank you for all the help, I am sorry if my queries seem a bit vague, I was working there the whole day, and my Internet access from their systems were irratic because of the above problems!