Facebook's "Gmail Killer" Project Titan

Anything to do with online stuff goes here.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Facebook's "Gmail Killer" Project Titan

Post by Anthro »

Facebook's "Gmail Killer" Project Titan unofficially unveiled
Hours ago, Facebook flicked the switch on another redesign of its home page. It was a pretty significant change when compared to their previous redesigns, though it seems that it was just the tip of the iceberg – as TechCrunch reported, the social networking company is rumored to be currently developing a fully featured webmail service, dubbed Project Titan.

Project Titan is said to be not only a webmail service, but also a complete rewrite of the current messaging service which the company uses. A few people have expressed complaints about their current messaging service, believing that it is too slow and frustrating to access when almost everybody uses email nowadays (you can receive emails when you get Facebook messages, but you still have to go through the site to interact with people). The company aims to make their social network the best possible experience it can be, for various obvious reasons, and this improvement will be extremely welcome.

Project Titan, while being a webmail service featured on Facebook, will have a few additions to make it much more accessible to those who use messaging regularly. First of all, you'll get your own email address; it'll be your vanity name (the one you chose for your Facebook.com/username address) at Facebook.com. Project Titan will also provide POP and IMAP support for the addresses, meaning that you'll be able to add the account to various third party services, and even mobile devices, should you desire to. In short, it'll be exactly like a regular email address, except it'll go through Facebook.

Project Titan is said to be called a "Gmail killer" unofficially, which may be a pretty bold statement, though you can be sure that if the rumors are true, the project certainly won't be unpopular. Hopefully the company will have some official news on this soon, though it'll most likely be a few months away yet.
Source Neowin.net
Temporary Absence
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Facebook's "Gmail Killer" Project Titan

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

For some reason, fb wont let me post this on the note you tagged me in, so here :P

Man, I feel two emotions about this. I read this note at about 6pm this evening on my phone and thought about it until now. On the one hand, I'm super excited, because this support is a wonderful feature. On the other hand, I'm pretty annoyed. I mean, what took them SO long to do this?! I wrote a note about a more advanced facebook messaging system 6 months ago already, and mentioned in there that POP and IMAP support is so so important. Why on earth has it taken SO long for this to happen?!

Facebook is by far my primary form of communication. Probably 98% of my social communication (apart from actual speaking) is done through facebook. I can't tell you how annoying it is for me to have to sign into a web interface every time I want to send that message.

/rant.

Anyway, I'm so so excited for this. I really feel like this is going to have MASSIVE ramifications on the way facebook users (all 375 million of us) communicate with each other.

By the way, the guy who said that this will be a "Gmail killer" needs to get fired. That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard :P

Here's a link to the aforementioned note :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

I did recall that post, hence me Tagging you ;-)
Well, it's rumoured to be called a Gmail killer.. so lets see what happens - I will gladly use it, even if it does not match Gmail, for me its all about integration
Temporary Absence
capanno

Post by capanno »

Gmail killer? *sigh*
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, the integration is important to me as well, but I'd never use this as my email setup though, only as a forwarding system. Like I said, most of my communication is done via facebook, and if I could get my facebook messages to an email client and reply to them from there, that would be amazing. That's all I really want from this :P

btw, I'm still not seeing the new layout :(
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah, the integration is important to me as well, but I'd never use this as my email setup though, only as a forwarding system. Like I said, most of my communication is done via facebook, and if I could get my facebook messages to an email client and reply to them from there, that would be amazing. That's all I really want from this :P

Ctrl F5 it?

It's nothing special IMO - I prefered having the old home and profile buttons on the left.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Well I have my own domain and have gmail - hardly use it though. I must say - I would be happy to have FB Mail more user friendly. Wonder if they will add filters then I can block or autodelete all the junk I receive?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Monty wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah, the integration is important to me as well, but I'd never use this as my email setup though, only as a forwarding system. Like I said, most of my communication is done via facebook, and if I could get my facebook messages to an email client and reply to them from there, that would be amazing. That's all I really want from this :P

Ctrl F5 it?
Nope, tried everything. Even went as far as deleting my cookies and all...

Anyway, I don't see myself using my "@facebook.com" address as an actual form of communication tbh, it'll just be used to forward my inbox messages to my actual email account. I would feel like such a chop giving someone an email address of "ett@facebook.com". I don't even feel comfortable giving people a gmail address, let alone a facebook address. This is why I bought my own domain for stuff like this.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Agreed - if you do business I think an @facebook.com will make you sound like an amateur - just like an @gmail.com or @yahoo.com do now. You really need your own domain if you want the perception of legitimacy / trust.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I wonder if the terms of service will remain the same? Keeping copies of your pictures and information, what about ones email?