if you host in a particular country but don't live there ...

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
mina.magpie

if you host in a particular country but don't live there ...

Post by mina.magpie »

... can that country's authorities charge you according to their laws? Obviously they could get the site removed and such, but could one be held liable legally as well?

As an example, if I were to host in the US, and discuss encryption on my site, providing an app for download, that would probably be regarded as export under US laws, which as I understand it, is severely restricted and requires a license. I'm not at all familiar with the laws and stuff, and I'm probably being paranoid, but yeah, the more general question of jurisdiction does occur when you decide whether to host locally or on a server overseas.

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
Sojourn

Re: if you host in a particular country but don't live there ...

Post by Sojourn »

I actually have an answer but the "mina" at the end distracted me so much I totally forgot what I wanted to say.
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Sojourn wrote:I actually have an answer but the "mina" at the end distracted me so much I totally forgot what I wanted to say.
Amazingly helpful thanks :P

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Where overseas are you looking to host? The US?
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Koko_Lion wrote:Where overseas are you looking to host? The US?
Yeah. DAE_JA_VOO and Stuart both recommended Elitehost, and they look really good, but their servers are in the US, Texas and Nevada of all places. Stetson hats and big guns come to mind. :D

I know it's probably silly, it's just that, between the DMCA, the Patriot Act, the controls they have on crypto, and the RIAA going after anybody and his dog, it seems a scary place to make a wrong step.

Mina.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Could you email the sales department any questions you may have? Probably best to deal direct with them, they could give you the best answers before signing up?
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Koko_Lion wrote:Could you email the sales department any questions you may have? Probably best to deal direct with them, they could give you the best answers before signing up?
Yeah, I'm doing so now. I doubt it'll be an issue, but it's probably best just to make sure.

Mina.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

If they complain about something illegal, just act dumb and say you had no idea :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Look for a host in Albania, Mongolia, Mexico, Bosnia or any other backwards country with little to no laws in regards to hosted content :D