ISA server woes

Network problem solving and tweaks
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

ISA server woes

Post by DJT »

Morning guys

Following my previous thread regarding bandwidth and cap limiting I have installed ISA 2006 on my Server 2003 box, and added the Bandwidth Splitter addon. I installed ISA client on my brother's computer (Win XP Pro) and after a little work the PC picked up the server and connected

HOWEVER....
The server does not show any connections to it, and BSplitter picks up no clients and therefore is not enforcing the quota and shaping rules. I also realised today that I can not ping his PC, but I am able to ping mine. To make sure he hadn't turned it off I pinged his from my own PC and it worked fine.

I can't access his remotely from work as it has no password (small oversight on my part) so if it is a problem on his end i will only be able to fix it later this evening. I just wanted to know if there are any server experts out there who could help me with this one?

Thanks,
Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
DJT

Re: ISA server woes

Post by DJT »

Morning all again

Was hoping someone would have been able to help me yesterday but its cool

Right, here is what i have managed to do now...
I played with a few of the settings last night and i think i stuffed it up even more.
I can no longer see the server from my bro's pc, nor can I even see (or ping) his from the server.
I can ping both from my own machine and trying to work on them from work is a nightmare as i have to remote into the server, then into my pc, and only then into my brother's.

Does anyone know what a likely cause could be for only those two machines not seeing each other?
I have diabled Windows Firewall and Nod on his pc and there is no other firewall other than ISA installed on the server.

I will keep googling, but i just thought there might be an offchance that someone here might be able to help

Ta,
Dj

UPDATE:

Changed the range, and ticked a box, all working beautifully
Shot for the, erm, um, help (??) guys :P

Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - Facebook
DJT

Help configuring settings in ISA 2006

Post by DJT »

Hey guys

Some of you have read my previous posts regarding ISA and know I am new to it. I have two things which I can't figure out right now and would appreciate any help that people have to offer

1) Reports: The website addresses on the reports come up in IP address format, so I have to go and stick the IP in IE of FF to see what it is each time. This is more an annoyance than a proble, but would appreciate any help anyone can give in trying to fix it.

2) Port blocking: Been asked to cut off certain ports to stop some games being played. I tried this with Rose Za (Kindly supplied on the PCF cover disk) and found the ports it used (29100 and 29200) through the ISA management window. I then made a firewall policy blocking both incoming and outgoing to those two ports (and all the ports in between) but it still works. Any idea what i am doing wrong? Anyone have a idiot firestrm-proof ( :wink: ) guide to setting up and configuring port blocking properly?

Shot in advance,
Dj
Clarke Media - Facebook