Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Network mapping: How and Why?

Post by Anakha56 »

Morning All,

So in my search of other things over the last couple of years I have always come across software that offers network mapping or seen a mention of it. And I have always put the thought to the back of my mind and carried on hunting for whatever it was I was looking for. Tonight while going through spiceworks for a software audit I noticed the latest version does network mapping and now I want to know why it is needed and how it benefits one.

So can someone care to enlighten me on this subject? Also do you know of any freeware type software for Windows server? While spiceworks is free it does not appear to create a proper map eg: missing workstations and only finding a few arb servers . :?

Thank You :)

/investigates other mapping software...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: Network mapping: How and Why?

Post by Anthro »

I have always been of the opinion that the map keeps the software 'connected' in some or other way, sort of reserving that particular clients connection to the shared file / database - so as to prevent others from 'breaking' your connection.
Software company I work for states that you MUST map the network drive in order for the database to function properly - but I have found it works without it too...
Don't quote me on this though, as I have not studied networking or any form. :arrow:
Temporary Absence
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

different type of mapping to connecting hardware devices...

makes life easier, but at the cost of some sanity in the beginning...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Anthropoid wrote:I have always been of the opinion that the map keeps the software 'connected' in some or other way, sort of reserving that particular clients connection to the shared file / database - so as to prevent others from 'breaking' your connection.
Software company I work for states that you MUST map the network drive in order for the database to function properly - but I have found it works without it too...
Don't quote me on this though, as I have not studied networking or any form. :arrow:
Wrong mapping Anthro ;) We do have some networked drives mapped bu very few. The mapping I am wanting to do is what rusty has just given me a link to. :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

So does anyone have any recommendations as to what software can do network mapping?

I have looked on rusty's link and a few work and a few seem to have stopped their mapping services and gone a very different route. One that does work really well, for those interested, is LanSurveyor from Solarwinds. It gave such a nice map that my bosses have told me to investigate other options hence my resurrection.