D-Link Router & QoS

Network problem solving and tweaks
Xiphan

D-Link Router & QoS

Post by Xiphan »

Hi people,

I'm running on a 384k line however it is unfortunately a shared line so when I want to play online and other people on the network decide to use Facebook, Youtube or even just check their mail my ping sky rockets. I was just wondering if using QoS would help at all, and if I could give my computer (IP Address) full priority on the network using QoS?

The reason why I'm creating a thread for this is because the router options don't make all that much sense to me.

The option to turn on QoS looks like this:

There after things get a little tricky.

If you need more screenies of my router options just let me know. My router is the D-Link DSL-2540U.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: D-Link Router & QoS

Post by Nuke »

I can't see how to do it properly with only those options. You can try marking your traffic and giving it first priority, but I don't think its going to do any good. You actually need to do policing onyour outside interface to make it worthwhile, and it will only work if its TCP connections that slows you down. For that you will need something like a Cisco 800 series.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Nuke wrote:I can't see how to do it properly with only those options. You can try marking your traffic and giving it first priority, but I don't think its going to do any good.
What about this:

Nuke wrote:You actually need to do policing onyour outside interface to make it worthwhile, and it will only work if its TCP connections that slows you down. For that you will need something like a Cisco 800 series.
Well for gaming I was actually considering getting a gaming router just to get game fuel technology. :|

However for the time being I was just wondering if there was any way to improve my current ping using my existing setup.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

That screenshot is just the definition to mark the traffic with, not what to do with it and on what interface.

Sorry pretty graphs don't impress me. :P The is no way you can prioritize traffic as it comes into a router. If it arrived at the router it already used up that bandwidth. The only way you can give "priority" to your games is the throttle down the unwanted TCP traffic to lets say 128k on a 384 line. As it comes in to the router it will drop the packets going over 128k and that in turn will signal the sender to half the framing size making sure data will never arrive faster than 128k. It wont work for UDP(eg. Voip and lots of other media) because UDP doesn't send back ack messages. I have no idea what they ask for that "gaming router" but I wouldn't buy one. I don't see any screenshots of its interface, without it I can't say if it has the policing features.

And also I hate D-links with a passion, most trouble I ever had with equipment
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Nuke wrote:I don't see any screenshots of its interface, without it I can't say if it has the policing features.
Emulated Interface

Password for admin is admin.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

I had a look, but it doesn't have anything more than basic priorities, that will only work in the outgoing direction. It will work if you are uploading alot(seeding torrents, sending mail or running a webserver) but your problem seems to be downstream.

Just thought of it, a Mikrotik is most likely the cheapest router that has the settings you need.