Reader's Corner

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Re: Reader's Corner

Post by jee »

pienkie wrote: PS - Sorry for pouncing on the thread from out of nowhere... I rediscovered the PCF forums this afternoon 8)

this is a pounce-on thread :)

huggles...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Ahzure

Post by Ahzure »

I took me a few hours (which is way too long ) to finish reading the 1268 pages that is Steven Erikson’s Toll of the Hounds (the eight book in the Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series)I look forward to reading the next book, Dust of Dreams (the Penultimate book in the series)
A few things stood out in this book
Spoiler (show)
The fight between Hood and Anomander Rake
The journey that Traveller and Karsa Orlong undertake
The events that transpire at K’rul’s bar, an establishment frequented by a number of retired Bridgeburners
Rules that an Evil Overlord must live by!

45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

jee wrote:Ruad, not Christine Feehan! there are other far better series (erotic and horror/fantasy) on the market!
She is one of those who write the formulaic versions, and unless they have three sex (translate pron) scenes, its not published.

Far better (and if there is any sex, its beautifully erotic and sensual, not pron) to read Laurell Hamilton, LA Banks, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (brilliant vamps!) even Kelly Armstrong. Richelle Mead has some rather interesting twists, as do Karen Chace( i like her Cassie Palmer series and have started collection the Dorina Basarab, Dhampir series).

There is off course JR Ward.... ;)
Hehe haven't read the dark series yet but it came recommended. So yeah. Thanks for the heads up :wink:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jee wrote:not Christine Feehan!
++ and certainly not Canavan :|
not on jee's list but also worthwhile: Tad Williams, Stephen Donaldson, Ian Irvine... actually.. it could end up a really long list... :lol:

pienkie wrote:My first book by King, and I have mixed feelings.
i must profess, given the ratings in this thread i finally buckled and started the series.. while i wasn't expecting classic king, i'm on book 3 and still struggling...

probably won't make it further... :/... i acknowledge that the project was an impressive undertaking, but the story isn't grabbing me the way his writing normally does... not his best work... please don't judge him on this travesty... his other works are certainly well worth the effort...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

I do agree that the Dark Tower will not be to everyone's liking, the reading can be very heavy at times, but I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I started with Pillars of the Earth last night.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Ahzure, I've read about a third of Dust of Dreams and it's great so far :D
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
jee

Post by jee »

rustypup wrote:
jee wrote:not Christine Feehan!
++ and certainly not Canavan :|
not on jee's list but also worthwhile: Tad Williams, Stephen Donaldson, Ian Irvine... actually.. it could end up a really long list... :lol:

puppi, the list includes only the Vamp/magic/lycanthrope erotic literature (tho some of those have little sex in them) a combination of horror and fantasy.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

rustypup wrote:
pienkie wrote:My first book by King, and I have mixed feelings.
i must profess, given the ratings in this thread i finally buckled and started the series.. while i wasn't expecting classic king, i'm on book 3 and still struggling...

probably won't make it further... :/... i acknowledge that the project was an impressive undertaking, but the story isn't grabbing me the way his writing normally does... not his best work... please don't judge him on this travesty... his other works are certainly well worth the effort...
I finished the book today, and I really enjoyed the last 30 or so pages (mostly his conversations with the man in black: life, size, etc.). The book was good, but I have decided against pursuing the series, because I highly doubt I'll finish it, and reading three books will only be frustrating.

Any suggestions on a good book? I am open to anything, but enjoying fantasy at the moment. Considering giving a King novel from a different series a go as well...
AMD Tri-Core 720BE @ 3.5Ghz
Biostar TA790GX A3+
4gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1333
ATI HD4890 @ 1050Mhz Mem / 900Mhz Core

3DMark06: 16 529
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jee wrote:Vamp/magic/lycanthrope erotic literature
:shock: there's a genre for this?... :P
pienkie wrote:Any suggestions on a good book?
anything by Neal Stephenson! :lol: but seriously, if you haven't read his work, you're missing out..

what sort of fantasy? comedic, dark or disturbing?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I decided to start reading again....

I need to read my 2008 MCITP manuals and write some exams, but instead I picked up Cormac McCarthy - The Road, John Steakley - Armor and Henry Miller - Tropic of Cancer.

All recommended to me by denizens of a place you should not really take suggestions from, lets see how it turns out.
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

rustypup wrote:
pienkie wrote:Any suggestions on a good book?
anything by Neal Stephenson! :lol: but seriously, if you haven't read his work, you're missing out..

what sort of fantasy? comedic, dark or disturbing?
To be honest, I am still finding my feet with regards to literature. I do not know if this is frowned upon by serious fantasy fanatics, but I really enjoyed The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan, if that gives you any idea.

I just raided our bookcase, and laid my hands on Dune by Frank Herbert, so I think I'll start on that tonight, and then I'll buy a new novel when I've finished.

Also, are any of you using Goodreads.com?
Biostar TA790GX A3+

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

The wheel of time is an awesome series. One day I'll get around to finishing it.

Read Dune first, though - you have to get the classics out of the way and it is a very good read!
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

So far Pillars of the Earth is pretty good. I prefer fantasy, but enjoying this one.
jee

Post by jee »

pienkie, i use Goodreads, but i read so much i forget to add my books to it :( Same with LibraryThing *sigh*
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

EW - Neil Gaiman wrote: Vampires go in waves, and it kind of feels like we’re now finishing a vampire wave, because at the point where they’re everywhere it’s probably time to go back underground for another 20 years or another 25 years.
bam! somebody buy the guy a beer.. he's earned it...
pienkie

Post by pienkie »

jamin_za wrote:The wheel of time is an awesome series. One day I'll get around to finishing it.

Read Dune first, though - you have to get the classics out of the way and it is a very good read!
Having a great time with Dune. My dad is super amped that I'm reading it, as it's one of his all time favorites, so family brownie points gogo! :lol:
jee wrote:pienkie, i use Goodreads, but i read so much i forget to add my books to it :( Same with LibraryThing *sigh*
I experience some weird sense of achievement/finality when I enter a finished book on there. Also, it is a great place to quickly scan a few opinions before starting/buying a book.
Biostar TA790GX A3+

jee

Post by jee »

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

jee wrote:pienkie, i use Goodreads, but i read so much i forget to add my books to it :( Same with LibraryThing *sigh*
So went to the site... and I got some issues:

Twilight, Harry Potter and 2 religious texts?????? I like LoTR, but would not classify it as one of the top 10 books I have read...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
jee

Post by jee »

GW, you must remember that in using online facilities like goodreads and LibraryThing, you will get the "popular" opinion.

Best to do is find someone that you know or a book you have read, follow that person, and then one starts recommending reads.
Many of the books i have on my list are first timers to the ISBN - others have few readers and then there are the Popular stuff. Its rather subjective because its what the users feel, not any critical method.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I hear you. I am just dismayed at the state humanity is in...

time for some happy pills!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
jee

Post by jee »

nah, just find someone that can recommend something good
am reading the new Jeff Lindsay's Dexter - what a laugh! brilliant!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

So, has anyone read the Foundation Series by Asimov? Dune...bah! :P
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
jee

Post by jee »

Kalster, Asimov is where i started reading :) Brilliant stuff, and it will never really date.
Mystical_Titan

Post by Mystical_Titan »

GreyWolf - LoTR was awesome, think I need to read it again. For the third time. :P
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

new Pratchett book - went hunting for it last weekend but failed to locate.... it's been a while since the last one, so i'm probably just nearing the final stages of withdrawal...

finished Greatest Show on Earth last week.. nothing new or exciting, but still a good read... i'd heartily recommend this one to capanno :P