Buyers comparison

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Buyers comparison

Post by StarBound »

I came across the July 2005 issue of pcf while clearing out my room and had a glance through it. Inside was comparisons apon comparisons of gaming, encoding benchmarking programs with different chips and graphics cards ect. Doom 3 bringing even the mighty 6800 ultra to its knees in one of the tests :P

So I was wondering will pcf do such an indepth benchmark again or is it too costly to compare hardware like that?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Re: Buyers comparison

Post by KillerByte »

Ah the good old days when people had lots of time and Editors took lunch from 9am till 4pm

Unfortunately I do not have access to a copy of that issue.

As far as I can ascertain you are saying that you would like us to increase the number of benchmarks that we use.

Is this correct?
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

KillerByte wrote:Ah the good old days when people had lots of time and Editors took lunch from 9am till 4pm

Unfortunately I do not have access to a copy of that issue.

As far as I can ascertain you are saying that you would like us to increase the number of benchmarks that we use.

Is this correct?
No, although that is partly what the OP was referring to, it is about the wide variety of hardware that those benchmarks were done on.

I think he wants you to increase the amount of different hardware you test a game on. In that specific issue (the 100th - Birthday issue, as well as the first issue with a single sided dvd), pages 46 to 60 [9 pages excluding adverts and 'picture pages' (pages that are taken up by a single picture, only to fill up the magazine's page count)] was titled the "Big Benchmark Special."

That article actually originated from the UK PCFormat, anyway there were tests done on 14 different CPUs, 22 different graphics cards as well as a bit of advice on sound cards, ram and hard drives. The benchmark tests were done on Far Cry, Doom 3, Sisoft Sandra, iTunes, video encoding & decoding, paint shop pro, Unreal Tournament 2004, Half-Life 2 (Source stress test), 3DMark 2001SE & 3DMark05.

I have to say that I would also like to see such a benchmark done on 'today's' games and 'today's' hardware, it just gives one a nice idea of how your pc's components fare in relation to other hardware.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I forgot about this thread.

But yes that is what I would like to see. You can always go and check comparison charts on the internet but they might not always show the "true" performance of the hardware. When it comes down to the stuff printed you have more riding on it and as a magazine trying to give its views over to its buyers its also nice to see how you guys rate the hardware.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.