illegal copy of windows

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
geraldhum

illegal copy of windows

Post by geraldhum »

Hi Guys

I bought this pc second hand at a second hand shop.

Today was the first time i ever had tried to do a windows update on my pc, i havent had the net for that long so i could never do it.

After Microsoft had checked using the genunin tool i go a message saying my product code is Not legit:( but i have a product sticker on the back of my pc and then downloaded another tool to go and check what my installed product code is and was not the same as the one on my sticker.

I searched google and found a way to change it, by deleting a value of the wpa events in the registry and then start, run and typrin in this.
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

I then clicked on phone and changed the product key to the one on my box.
Then it tells me that it is not correct and tried it a couple of times with the same error message.

Does anyone know why this is happening or another way i could do it. I dont feel like re-installing.
Koko_Lion

Re: illegal copy of windows

Post by Koko_Lion »

The service pack number of the key should be the same service pack number on your windows disc.
garp

Post by garp »

Phone Microsoft, and report the shop who sold you the pc. Because you were sold a possibly illegal copy, Microsoft will take it up with the shop, and also "should" sort you out with a legit copy. Of course this may be a bit ambitious and you might not wanna get all involved and all that...
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

i was going to phone microsoft but didnt wanna get into anything unless courtcase and so on. i have xp discs at work ill just re-install and hopefuly my license code works on one of those
garp

Post by garp »

Or try this, Somewhere under start - programes - accessories (I think its under system tools, I haven't used XP for ages) you should have a "activate windows" tab. clicking on that will bring up the windows activation wizard. If your copy is indeed illegal, it will inform you so, and give you the option to punch in a legit CD-key.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

It doesnt give me the option to actvate XP that way, only if i delete a value from the registry i can get to that screen. I'm just gonna re-install XP and hopefully my product key on my box will register with windows. im looking so forward into getting win 7 on the 22 october:)
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

If you want it legal, it obvious that you do not, Microsoft will supply you with both the key and a new disc for R1400.00 I recently Bought an Acer off this site to find the same thing, sticker on the back was for XP Home but the unit was running XP Pro. No updates, no nothing, went to MS and had to follow the route above.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

yes but why buy a license when there is an original license sticker on the pc case. Using any xp pro disc doesnt matter as long as there is a license sticker.
Anyway i'm waiting for the 22nd so i can buy win7:)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

geraldhum wrote:yes but why buy a license when there is an original license sticker on the pc case. Using any xp pro disc doesnt matter as long as there is a license sticker.
Anyway i'm waiting for the 22nd so i can buy win7:)
Simply because the license of any Microsoft product is non-transferable. Meaning it is not allowed to be sold once it has been used. Like the stick man said, if you want to run it go buy it. If you are looking at buying win7 get a copy of the RC and run that in the interim.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932