Need help! Newb with ubuntu 9!

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
rustypup

Re: Need help! Newb with ubuntu 9!

Post by rustypup »

i have no idea... never used wimax.... but it sounds like he is dialling out...

if the device is connecting automatically, then DHCP should have resolved without hiccup on the first connection attempt... unless the DNS server has to be added in manually for this to work :?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Yes and only modems Modem dial, and normally via a com connection either virtual or real.
If it dials via a network card/cable then it must be using some kind of application that
communicates via sockets then translate that into com communication to give the wimax modem dial codes and TA commands
such as the SP number ect ect.

And if its like that i dunno if ubuntu will have that kind of support though i might be wrong.

My Point is you dont dial via nework cards cus its not a modem So i dont think he needs to connect creating a dialup connection if his comuter is only connected via a cat5 cable, the Wimax device should do all the dialing
automatically as soon as you switch it on. and the rest is networked.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Nope I still dont have networking back.

The wimax device itself connects to the exchange when switched on but it wont allow you to use the internet. You then need to do a seperate username and password thing (same as dial up) to connect. I might be wrong but someone mentioned bridging on dsl routers work the same where you dont add a username on password on the router and everytime you want to connect it pops up a connection screen.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Havent replied to this thread in a long time. Reason for that is I screwed up somewhere and I cant fix it. I cant get my networking back. To that end I am giving linux the boot again.

While it looks interesting and is a alternative to windows its still not as user friendly as windows. On the other end its alot less auto run than windows is and thats what I want. Control over my programs.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.