District 9

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Brad2.0

Re: District 9

Post by Brad2.0 »

Did u add the part about the catfood "grenades". that my fav part, please include it in ur spoiler alert,tanx
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Wow, talk about over complicating and over analyzing things... :?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

StarPhoenix, you have an astounding amount of fee time on your hands.
I read the first few paragraphs of your little synopsis - needless to say found an abundance of errata and omissions - which would lead me to believe that you arrived for the movie a few minutes late and missed the introduction to the story line at the very beginning.
Either that, or you are one of those movie goers who enjoy movies where everything is explained to you and the ending raps it all up neatly with a little bow. I personally liked that they did not explain all of the movie to us, just gave us a lot of clues and then left the individual to make up his own mind. It has made for some very interesting discussions.
Not with you, of course :P
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

StarPhoenix, you sound like a that ghay-fat guy on M-Net that used to rate movies. You critic.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
capanno

Post by capanno »

Best username? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: Im gonna change mine to superninjamidgetworrior.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

jamin_za wrote:StarPhoenix, you have an astounding amount of fee time on your hands.
Saturday afternoon ftw
I read the first few paragraphs of your little synopsis - needless to say found an abundance of errata and omissions
Naturally. :P I don;t claim to be an authority on ...well..anything.

- which would lead me to believe that you arrived for the movie a few minutes late and missed the introduction to the story line at the very beginning.
No, I watched the trailers. I think Avatar might be more to my taste. :wink:

Either that, or you are one of those movie goers who enjoy movies where everything is explained to you and the ending raps it all up neatly with a little bow.
Um....yes....nothing to involved for me, please.
I personally liked that they did not explain all of the movie to us, just gave us a lot of clues and then left the individual to make up his own mind. It has made for some very interesting discussions.
Not with you, of course :P
Perish the thought! :lol:

[quote="Ruadrauflessa""] Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote

StarPhoenix, you sound like a that ghay-fat guy on M-Net that used to rate movies. You critic.
[/quote]

Barry Ronge? Even when when half asleep and inebriated he is twelve time the critic I will ever be! :oops:

Capanno: Go for it! :twisted:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

StarPhoenix, point being I hate critics. They are so cynical and the most often than not contradict themselves.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

@StarPhoenix: ++ - while i don't agree entirely, i must profess that some of the plot hiccups left me feeling a little ambivalent toward the protagonists....

sadly, even with all the flaws, this movie still manages to be one of the better ones i've seen...
StarPhoenix wrote:I think Avatar might be more to my taste.
by all accounts, prepare to be disappointed... :|
RuadRauFlessa wrote:I hate critics. They are so cynical and the most often than not contradict themselves
on the other hand, i reserve a special distaste for mindless optimists who feign surprise whenever they get kicked in the gonads - to the point that they'll stick their head in the sand and swear blind it never happened....

when did pointing out that a movie is crud, (or expressing an opinion over the volume of plot failings), become a bad thing? some folks can turn their brains off and simply absorb the bright lights and moving images, some expect something more cerebral and at least reminiscent of a storyline...

given that virtually everything i've been subjected to over the last few years has been sheer, unadulterated, bovine manure coated in awkward sex, (with a large side order of SFX), and spoon fed to dimbulbs, (ignoring, for now, that almost everything produced of late is a remake of a remake) - i suspect that group doofism has a few inherent flaws as a motivator to improve the quality of hollywood's product... :wink: (special mention should be made of those sickeningly cutesy animated animal movies designed to induce premature alzheimer's in the minds of adults...)

<goes back to chasing EMOs off the lawn with rock salt and deodorant...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Excellent flick. Deserves a space between my other DVD’s
Next up, Halo. :-\
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
VoxynQueen

Post by VoxynQueen »

The one thing I don't understand about this movie.

WHAT THE HECK IS WITH THAT FUEL?

It powers ships.
And in its spare time it's a powerful virus that mutates (presumably) any non-prawn into a prawn.
What the heck?

Other than that, it was a fabulous film.
And the non-American accents was a refreshing change.
Although it was hard to understand at first.
:)
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Me too but why didn't the prawns find the fuel long ago?
Why scavenge the earth for fuel when it originated from the ship...they were on the ship for 3 years, long enough to find some. What gives?
VoxynQueen

Post by VoxynQueen »

I think you missed the part in the film where it says that the prawns they found were the worker class.
ie: not able to make complex decisions themselves.
The prawn in red, his son and the prawn that helped him were likely members of a ruling or commanding class of prawn and were thus more intelligent.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

VoxynQueen wrote:ie: not able to make complex decisions themselves.
Like the ANC?
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

SoulBlade, Dude it'snot that they didn't find the fuel - it took them 20 years to MAKE the fuel.
to ápeiro anima
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Ahh! But a superior race forgetting to stockpile extra fuel... thats not smart. Running out of fuel? No, that's why you have a bingo fuel limit.
Last edited by SoulBlade on 17 Sep 2009, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

:P
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Received viae-mail
Nigeria’s government may have moved to stop cinemas acrossthe country from showing the controversial science fiction film, District 9, which it says denigrates the country’s image.

Information Minister, Dora Akunyili, speaking on BBC’s Network Africa programme said she had asked the makers of the film, Sony, for an apology.

According to her, the film, which is directed by Neill Blomkamp, and produced by Peter Jackson, portrays Nigerians as cannibals, criminals and prostitutes.

Akunyili argued that the film clearly took aim at Nigerians.”We feel very bad about this because the film clearly denigrated Nigeria’s image by portraying us as if we are cannibals, we are criminals,” she said, adding that “the name of our former president was clearly spelt out as the head of the criminal gang and our ladies shown like prostitutes sleeping with extra_terrestrial refugees.”

The Information Minister said she had ordered the Nigerian Film and Video Censors Board to ask all cinemas not only to stop showing the film, but equally to confiscate it. “I have also formally written to Sony Pictures Entertainment, the company that produced this film, demanding an unconditional apology for this unwarranted attack on Nigeria’s image,” she added.

She also said she had asked the producers to review the film with a view to removing “all offending portions that injured our image as a nation.”

Speaking further, Akunyili berated the film, saying that it came out at a time when the nation is hitting back with a policy of “rebranding”, after allowing the international community to define the country based on the behaviour of “a few criminals”. She urged Nollywood to help portray Nigeria in a better light.

An actor from the film, Malawian Eugene Khumbanyiwa who played a gang leader with the nickname of Obasanjo, said it was not just Nigerians who were portrayed as villains.

District 9, which was screened recently at the Silverbird cinemas, portrayed Nigerians as people embedded with all kinds of vices, ranging from criminality to prostitution and voodooism.

Watching the film which is about alien refugees who set up home in a South African shanty town called District 9, one cannot but submit that the science fiction film remains an extension of the frequent negative attack on the black nations by the western world.

It is a loose allegory about apartheid and recent violence by South Africans against foreigners.
This is to show Nigerians how the country is portrayed in movies by the western world. This is not the first nor the last time Nigerians are painted bad in a movie. We actually need to show this movie so that Nigerians can see how the country is being perceived by the outside world,”Jonathan Murray-Bruce, General Manager, Silverbird Galleria said, at a screening of the film at the Silverbird’s cinemas.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Seriously, Nigeria, WTF.
Your biggest export (aside from crude oil) is criminals.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Well done to OB. :D
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Clever ad! :lol:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator