Mac in the Format?

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Mac in the Format?

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Synthesis wrote:Benchmark / Comparison of PC vs Mac: YES PLEASE!
Mac content in PCF now or in the future: NO! Leave it for the Mac specific mags.

For some info on Windows 7 vs Mac OS X Snow Leopard: These articles are pretty old.
No benchmarking info here, just a feature comparison. Looking forward to benchmarks though.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard vs. Windows 7

Windows 7 Versus Mac OS X Leopard: The Feature-by-Feature Showdown
Ok let me get this straight. You are saying that you don't want the Mac vs PC article to appear in the PC-Format mag but you would like some benchmarks from PC-Format's side. Are you just confusing yourself. Obviously you want the article in the mag. Then you have what you asked for.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

An Apple Macintosh is a personal computer (PC) too, so technically there is no reason why there shouldn't be Mac articles in the magazines anyway...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Post by americantsm1 »

GreyWolf, I tried to make that point and was informed it was not a PC
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

americantsm1 wrote:GreyWolf, I tried to make that point and was informed it was not a PC
Look, I am not a Mac fan, and am constantly at war with Mac lovers, but I agree with you. Pay no attention to the squirrel. He is mad with rabies ;)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

Can anyone of the mac haters provide a solid reason why mac's should not be in pcf.

Arguing about the definition of a pc is retarded as the term pc dates from the the days of ibm, 8086's and dos.

A smartphone is more powerful, so why is it not a pc?! :|

pcf's job is to showcase whats available to the public and provide an opinion on what, who should get for what purpose. Is this not the point of a review? Based on this premise, mac's should be included regardless of whether they can run windows or have x86 architecture. Otherwise pcf should also leave out the smartphones and linux!
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Prime wrote:Can anyone of the mac haters provide a solid reason why mac's should not be in pcf.

Arguing about the definition of a pc is retarded as the term pc dates from the the days of ibm, 8086's and dos.

A smartphone is more powerful, so why is it not a pc?! :|

pcf's job is to showcase whats available to the public and provide an opinion on what, who should get for what purpose. Is this not the point of a review? Based on this premise, mac's should be included regardless of whether they can run windows or have x86 architecture. Otherwise pcf should also leave out the smartphones and linux!
Agree with Prime I do on that.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Prime wrote:Otherwise pcf should also leave out the smartphones and linux!
and why? Linux is part of PC culture my pessimistic friend....
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Prime wrote:Can anyone of the mac haters provide a solid reason why mac's should not be in pcf.
it should be pointed out, at this juncture, that most of the "PC is not a MAC" noise stems from the MAC camp, partly due to the general level of intelligence to be found there, (marketing victims), but mostly as a result of their inability to reconcile the cost of MAC hardware with the relatively cheaper, and better performing, PC hardware... (while this is entirely personal opinion, i have yet to meet someone capable of challenging it in any meaningful way)..

for my part, i honestly don't think the average PC user would get much benefit from a MAC OS vs PC OS bench, especially if some or all of the hardware is mac-specific... one crash and suddenly we have the reviewer bleating about mac's superior stability, which is clearly utter tripe in the face of the range of drivers supported under windows vs that in mac OS... :/

secondly, (and very much like linux), given that MAC software tends to be very focused, wherein lies the interest of the average pc user?...

<spends his days issuing impossible support requests to the nearest "genius bar"...>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:secondly, (and very much like linux), given that MAC software tends to be very focused, wherein lies the interest of the average pc user?...
I would like a comparison in the adobe suite of aps, as well as 3d rendering.
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

Firestrm wrote:
Prime wrote:Otherwise pcf should also leave out the smartphones and linux!
and why? Linux is part of PC culture my pessimistic friend....
linux and mac are both based on unix. My argument was that a pc should not be defined as something that runs windows.

maybe you should read the whole of my post ;)