PCF July 2009

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

PCF July 2009

Post by Ron2K »

Right, my thoughts/comments/flames/whatever:
  1. Poor Tribble. :lol:
  2. Still occasional grammar errors around the place (Killy's blurb at the beginning of the Wired section being one such place).
  3. I really enjoyed the XP/Vista/Win7 comparison and the Windows customization articles.
Still to read through it properly, but looks like a good job so far.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: PCF July 2009

Post by Tribble »

Yeah - Ronny said that I was quoted again :twisted: and it was my post about not commenting incase I got quoted :twisted: Methinks someone is playing with fire :twisted: :lol:

Going to buy a copy incase mine doesn't get delivered - again!
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

You are going to buy a copy because you want to see your name in print, be truthful now :!:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Yeah, she's going to read one and have the other framed.

I liked the cover better this time. Less invasive with the cover babe. And it actually looks like it has something to do with computers. Haven't had a chance to read much further than the letters yet.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stu I loved last months cover babe, showed me the "naughty" side of PCF Art Ed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will be getting mine tomorrow morning :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

lancelot wrote:You are going to buy a copy because you want to see your name in print, be truthful now :!:
Oh absolutely :wink: - just wish I had been saying something intelligent and witty. :lol: :lol:
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

lol. i saw that comment about Tribble, and i was like WTF? lol. hell i didn't even notice the last comment about her. so i went back to read it. :) Great issue. loved the windows comparison.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Taken from this thread:

http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35684
Anakha56 wrote:Jonboy I agree with the misleading title, I read it and started to looking for the rest of the article. Realized it was no there and decided to ignore it...
Firestrm wrote:Just to add to Anakha's little blurb here..... top right of the cover goes on about switching to linux and being able to boot faster and you can play games? Yet theres no article in the mag about linux as described?

Only a install ubuntu/kubuntu article and a tiny little block on WINE usage in linux :| another misleading sellpoint.... cmon guys i buy PCF religiously every month, and frankly i was quite excited to see linux desribed as such... only to be let down by this.... anyone else feel cheated here? :?
Some big problems on header work from PCF staff :(.

Fire I was looking forward to that article, am reading a page a night :P, so to hear its not going to be as put in the header makes me a sad panda :(.

One positive the Phorm article was a good read :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Anakha, exactly, im interested to what nab or mike have to say regarding this....
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

I also felt mislead regarding the Linux heading... :-( But, at least I am now busy enjoy Ubuntu 9.04! :-D
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

I loved this Issue, I really liked the cover babe. But the best cover babe ever has to be issue 100. Can she make a return soon :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D

I also felt a bit cheated with the Linux cover :cry: I really want to learn Linux in a way that I can use it as an everyday OS and play games etc.

:D :D
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Oh, and another thing.

One article is dedicated to the wonder that is the Ati 4770(the AMD budger supercomputer article by Henry Winchester) and yet the same card in the same issue is slated by Mike in the hardware review section???
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

Jonboy,

Yup, I saw that this morning.....I mean.....WTF!!!
Must be the gremlins trolling about on the ED's machine :D
Different views, different opinions, I personally love the 4770, for a budget card I think it rocks, but I didn't see anything on that card's review with it being AMD fusion ready, I think AMD mobo's and AMD/ATI card reviews should have this in.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Tough call keeping both of those in but here was the logic as opposed to the gremlins :mrgreen: The Winch is coming more from a GPGPU perspective where this card is indeed small and cheap but capable of yesteryear's dreams. Mic in his 1 dimensional style was echoing what the vast majority of 4770 customers would think if they bought this card: Crysis is little jumpy on this 20+ inch. Truth be told I think Henry's piece was an awesome reminder of just how far we have come post unified architechture hype, and the fact that we already find close to a teraflop of power dissapointing at R1600 does more to hammer the point home.

TL;DR: While we grow impatient for photorealistic graphics, GPUs are becoming a bastion of underutilised processing power.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Firestrm wrote:Just to add to Anakha's little blurb here..... top right of the cover goes on about switching to linux and being able to boot faster and you can play games? Yet theres no article in the mag about linux as described?

Only a install ubuntu/kubuntu article and a tiny little block on WINE usage in linux :| another misleading sellpoint.... cmon guys i buy PCF religiously every month, and frankly i was quite excited to see linux desribed as such... only to be let down by this.... anyone else feel cheated here? :?
Nab, care to answer that one?
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Hi all. Sorry I missed that point. Here's how it happened, the blame lies squarely with me. The UK team used that same line on their cover in reference to the little quickfix (Wine in Linux) only. They seem to be doing it a lot lately and while this may be acceptable in the UK I was not really so keen. I decided to run a local piece which was meant to be a part one of several taking beginners through the entire process but at the last minute we got our hands on something that was far more concise for the next issue so I retrofitted the local piece to be a one-off. The August feature is more of what you where expecting but obviously that does not justify the misleading headline for which I apologise - it was not intentional!

TLDR: This is not Britain - sorry.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Thanks Nab, understood and im eagerly awaiting the aug issue :mrgreen: