Using Linux for beginners and gamers

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
w1z4rd911

Using Linux for beginners and gamers

Post by w1z4rd911 »

Don't you guys think that it is time that PCF do a skit on using Linux, from running command lines to playing games etc. We have had the game Dev. thing. We even had a crash course on how to tweak windows etc. But nothing in all these years for Linux. I say this coz I have tried and failed and tried and failed and tried and failed so many times with linux and a plethora of distro's that I some how now and then get something to work and then, Bang goes the OS or at times my drive partition tables.
It might even help us all learn a bit more code, etc and maybe even help to improve Linux to such a way that we can take any guy that has been in the remote parts of the world who has never seen a PC might even get to grips with the OS. This in turn might make M$ try even harder to improve their product/s (maybe even take out some of the bloat and make it a bit more fun to play with.

Just My 5 cents
lancelot

Re: Using Linux for beginners and gamers

Post by lancelot »

I certainly would like to see this!
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Valid suggestion in my book - maybe DJV or one of the other Linux fundis could do a write-up. Rusty would be a good bet if we car edit his sarcasm and inferences out. :)
to ápeiro anima
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, that would be cool. I wouldn't mind writing for PCF again :) I'll contact them and see if they're keen :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

Hey Guys I think this is wonderful. I seriously thought I might be the only one out there with this view :oops:
Can you just imagine the possibilities for overclocking on Linux. With all the windows bloat gone, imagine the scores :shock:
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

BTW
Hey DJV, hows the Pico ITX project comming along, haven't heard anything on it in ages :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

w1z4rd911 wrote:imagine the scores
Scores in what :?:

There are no established benchmark utilities for Linux that I know of...

But hey, don't let me rain on your parade - it's still happening in Cape Town, right :?: :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

w1z4rd911 wrote:I seriously thought I might be the only one out there with this view :oops:
Can you just imagine the possibilities for overclocking on Linux. With all the windows bloat gone, imagine the scores :shock:
Dude, give up your ideas and dreams of gaming in linux anytime soon right now. It's not going to happen ;)

w1z4rd911 wrote:BTW
Hey DJV, hows the Pico ITX project comming along, haven't heard anything on it in ages :P
The project took a turn. I'm actually in the process of planning it now, and I should be starting soon :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
w1z4rd911

Post by w1z4rd911 »

I thought with WINE in Ubuntu, most games will work.

My only gripe with Linux is the command line issues. I can type in command lines to run an app, and guess what, it won't run. This is my pain. If I could code well (which I can't for the life of me) I would put in a decent GUI to help the Linux cause.
More people would move over to linux should the GUI be easier. Most people out there don't know how to run command lines. Okes like me who were brought up on DOS (MSDOS and PCDOS) can still do the command line thing and have a little nostalgia in the process. My only real experience in coding was with Turbo Basic and Qbasic (writing Graphic Interface Menues) to make running certain things easier. I eventually learnt how to make a stick man run across the screen but that is it.

If PC format could even help okes learn a bit of code to help us write a bit and tinker a bit with Linux I think Overclocking benchmarks tools and utilities could be on the horizon.
I just sold an EEE Pc to a customer who wanted one but was pre installed with a broken down version of Ubuntu, This poor chap was lost. I had to install windows for him eventually - the phone calls of "how do I..." were painful

I was able to run Red Alert 3 in Fedora 10 but I can't do it twice. Command line doesnt wat to do what it did last time.

Thats my few nutshells from the Peanut Gallery
Prime

Post by Prime »

I'm for it. I gave up with suse and linux in general because i had no idea how to fix the issues.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Agrees x3. i want to learn linux :!: :!: :!: :?: :lol: :lol: :)

BTW. Thanks PCF for the ubuntu 32 and 64 bit on this month's DVD. :)
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

DeathStrike wrote:Agrees x3. i want to learn linux :!: :!: :!: :?: :lol: :lol: :)

BTW. Thanks PCF for the ubuntu 32 and 64 bit on this month's DVD. :)
+1 Yeah!

And I also want to say thank you very much for the Ubuntu 9.04 distros! My pc is now happily dual-booting XP & Ubuntu Jaunty. :-D