Is this Iburst throttleing speed normal?

Network problem solving and tweaks
Qrox

Is this Iburst throttleing speed normal?

Post by Qrox »

I've been using Iburst for about 2-3 mounths now. I know that Iburst offers throtteling to customer that have the one 1Gb package and Higher. I normally get between 70-100 kbs when NOT throttled. When I am throttled I get a pathetic 2-6 kbs. Is this the normal throttleing speed? :(
[Thermaltake Shark case] [Gigabyte Z68AP-D3] [Intel 2500k OC @ 4Ghz] [8Gb DDR3 1600 Ram] [MSI GTX670 Power Editon] [Seagate 3.55TB Total] [20x Sony Dvd Wrighter] [Thermaltake 700w Powersupply] [Samsung 27" LCD Monitor] [Windows 8 Professional 64bit]
Prime

Re: Is this Iburst throttleing speed normal?

Post by Prime »

Yup. The maximum speed throttled is 64k. Given that your iburst is not running at full speed, or near that, i'm guessing the throttling speed is being affected too.

on a really good day, our speed will go to 700k. Normally its about 300k. And we can still manage to get by while throttled.
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

700 Kbs :shock: What the hell! My friend and I both have Iburst and we get max 105 kbs. Why is it so low? I live in Pretoria and I am in a very good coverage area... I want 700 kbs too. 300 kbs would also be great. would at least be 3 times faster than usual... :(
[Thermaltake Shark case] [Gigabyte Z68AP-D3] [Intel 2500k OC @ 4Ghz] [8Gb DDR3 1600 Ram] [MSI GTX670 Power Editon] [Seagate 3.55TB Total] [20x Sony Dvd Wrighter] [Thermaltake 700w Powersupply] [Samsung 27" LCD Monitor] [Windows 8 Professional 64bit]
Prime

Post by Prime »

Qrox wrote:700 Kbs :shock: What the hell! My friend and I both have Iburst and we get max 105 kbs. Why is it so low? I live in Pretoria and I am in a very good coverage area... I want 700 kbs too. 300 kbs would also be great. would at least be 3 times faster than usual... :(
check your coverage on iburst's site. Our coverage is excellent, but we are almost line of sight from the tower. :twisted:

it also depends on load in your area.

as i said, 700 on a good day-i seem to remember this being in the middle of the night though. Ours now runs through a router so i have no idea what speed it runs at these days.
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

It's probably got to do with the load in the area :( I'll never be able to enjoy Iburst anymore now that I know how fast some people can download with their Iburst. Trying to download stuff at 4kbs is a real pain in the neck
Prime

Post by Prime »

Qrox wrote:It's probably got to do with the load in the area :( I'll never be able to enjoy Iburst anymore now that I know how fast some people can download with their Iburst. Trying to download stuff at 4kbs is a real pain in the neck
no, my download speed is still only about 20-30k per download.

try the external antenna? You can also try playing with paper to shape the signal. It can add up to 10k to your download speed.

4k? our 56k modem used to download at 14k and connect at 53k :shock:
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

the 4kbs I talking about is the throttled speed. My cap is usually gone in about 3days (week and a half if i'm saving it up) so most of the time I have to use the throttled speed. But with the throttled speed that I get I have to download everything over night if I really want it and when I play wow I can't do things like 25 man raids since the speed of the modem is a too big a bottleneck and I get disconnected
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

At the moment I am throttled and I can get up to 18 kbs on a torrent (using Free download manager) and it even jumped up to 30kbs a few seconds ago! If I can get that speed on a torrent shouldn't I be able to get more speed out of normal downloads than that or at least the same speed? :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Qrox wrote:At the moment I am throttled and I can get up to 18 kbs on a torrent (using Free download manager) and it even jumped up to 30kbs a few seconds ago! If I can get that speed on a torrent shouldn't I be able to get more speed out of normal downloads than that or at least the same speed? :?
that i don't know. I never use torrents. Maybe its compression?